External CD/DVD-RW known to work with Udoo Bolt Gear?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by km6slf, Jan 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. km6slf

km6slf New Member

I tried to search for this and didn't find it - pardon me if it's been asked and answered. I'm new to this forum and looking forward to participating with you.

I set up my new Udoo Bolt Gear over the past week, and things are going very well with it. I love this powerful little computer!

I've set it up with a 512 GB SATA m.2 drive, a 500 GB NVME m.2 drive, a 2 TN SATA 3.0 SSD, and an upgraded Intel AX200 wireless card with upgraded 8db antennas. I also ordered Grove connectors and labeled them for their respective types for future use.

One issue I encountered is with an external DVD/CD-RW drive not being recognized. It's this model:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJW5BXZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Is there any reason it shouldn't work? I tried it plugged into a USB 3.0 port on a USB-C hub, and tried it plugged directly into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the Udoo.

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

A common, potential issue on this type of external DVD burner/reader, is not be able to get sufficient power from the PC it is attached with.
    Typical good design either (allowing to) use an optional DC power adapter to supply power,
    or its USB cable has two connectors on the PC-facing end (one for data+power and the other for power-only.)

<-- I prefer the first option such that if the PC side cannot supply sufficient power, I can always resort to using the AC-DC power adapter, especially in writer mode.

Yours is only using one single USB cable and only has connector on the PC end. This is getting into the YMMV territory.

3. km6slf

km6slf New Member

I picked up one that had an external power supply and had the same issue. it worked on another PC without issue.

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

That is very strange.
    Please try to use a USB 3.0 flash drive to direct plug-in to Bolt's USB 3.0 port to check if it works and is in USB 3 mode.
    <-- Use Google search to find USBview.exe program, run it to trace up the newly inserted USB3 flash drive to see if it lands on a USB3 root-hub

^^^^ The above procedure is to make sure UDOO Bolt's USB3 port works as expected.

Then the next hill to climb is to figure out why external USB3.0 DVD drive (which is externally powered) won't work....

5. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Hey there km6slf did css_hello replied to your question? Hopefully everything works now!