separate power for arduino?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by hindumagic, Mar 3, 2021.

1. hindumagic

hindumagic New Member

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of getting one of these cool boards, but I have a question I haven't found an answer to yet.
    Can the onboard arduino be powered while the Ryzen side of things is off/suspended? It would be fun to use the arduino side to power up the full system, or run lights while the main system is powered down.
    Anyone try this or know if it is doable? The docs for the Leonardo pinout label all power as OUT (clearly not in), so I assume that you can't power it through that interface.
    Thanks!

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

BOLT's built-in Arduino Leonardo is using BOLT's internal 5V power source thus cannot be
    separately powered (unless you doing the tiny 0403 SMD work and modifying the PCB <-- don't do it.)

evaloverde likes this.
  3. hindumagic

hindumagic New Member

Ok, thanks for the info. Quite disappointing news, to be honest. It would have been great to supply an external 5V to just it, or have an independent power path through the mainboard. A missed opportunity to have a low power device monitor things and then wake up the Ryzen to take care of business.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

evaloverde likes this.
  5. hindumagic

hindumagic New Member

Thanks waltervl, I'll look into it. Thinking that an itx based board will work, depending on the power draw. cheers.

6. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for helping Hindu guys

7. Crocodoris

Crocodoris New Member

It would have been great to supply an external 5V to just it, or have an independent power path through the mainboard. A missed opportunity to have a low power device monitor things and then wake up the Ryzen to take care of business.