Booting into command line

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by bbriggs, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bbriggs

bbriggs New Member

Hello everyone,

I got my Udoo Quad in the mail yesterday and I'm attempting to configure it the way I want it.

I purchased a Udoo to play around with some distributive programming. The tasks that I'm going to attempt to have the Udoo perform don't require any graphical environments to be running and I'd like to save the RAM to be used for my tasks instead of GNOME (or any other Window Managers for that matter).

I've searched around the web looking for ways to boot directly into the command line but I haven't been successful.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. danomatika

danomatika New Member

I'd like this as well. On regular Ubuntu, you can change a setting in the grub file. Linaro is using uBoot instead of Grub but I can't find the uBoot boot.scr. Anyone know where it is in the Linaro UDOO images?

3. danomatika

danomatika New Member

Got it. Simply disable launching lightdm:

Update:

Don't bother launching LightDM manually as there isn't a way to log out of it without killing it. We don't need it anyway if we want the Udoo to behave more like a RPI.

You can simply start the x session with:

Code:
    startx
    It uses the Unity session by default, which you can override to the gnome-fallback session that LightDM uses in your ~/.xinitrc:

Code:
    exec gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback