Devicee tree overlays without editor

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by bremenpl, Apr 20, 2017.

1. bremenpl

bremenpl New Member

Hello there,
    I am using minimal ubuntu on the NEO platform. In the documentation I have found the device tree editor: http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Cookbook_Linux/Device_Tree_Editor.html
    Also in the /boot/dts/ directory I can find some compilled dts files. For full they are:
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 47563 Jan 24 10:28 imx6sx-udoo-neo-full.dtb
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 48824 Jan 24 10:28 imx6sx-udoo-neo-full-hdmi.dtb
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49476 Jan 24 10:28 imx6sx-udoo-neo-full-hdmi-m4.dtb
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 48658 Jan 24 10:28 imx6sx-udoo-neo-full-lvds15.dtb
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49310 Jan 24 10:28 imx6sx-udoo-neo-full-lvds15-m4.dtb
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 48850 Jan 24 10:28 imx6sx-udoo-neo-full-lvds7.dtb
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49502 Jan 24 10:28 imx6sx-udoo-neo-full-lvds7-m4.dtb
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 48215 Jan 24 10:28 imx6sx-udoo-neo-full-m4.dtb

But in the example screen from the device tree editor I can see one can set various peripherals using the available device trees. But I cannot see .dtb files for uart, CAN, SPI and etc in the /boot/dts/ directory. I uderstand that the minimal image doesnt have the device tree editor, so I need to set them using command line. But where are the rest of the .dtb files located? Also are the .dts sources also available? I would appreciate all help!

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. bremenpl

bremenpl New Member

Thank you for the link. I
    am not sure i fully understandhiw this dtweb works. Is is possible to run this device tree editor on udoobubtu minimal or is it not included?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Perhaps it is then better to start with a Neo running on the normal image. It will save you a lot of manual configuration, also with other peripherals like wifi, Bluetooth etc. As stated by the Udoo team the minimal image carries absolute the minimum to run the Neo. Everything extra has to be added manually.

If you start with a normal image you later can remove or not start during boot what you do not need (like the desktop etc).

5. bremenpl

bremenpl New Member

Thank you for your answer,
    I will probably start with something like you suggesting... The thing is I cant understand how are the device tree overlays configures using device tree editor. I understood that there is some script that does the thing, but I dont know what is under the hood, where are the *.dts files located? In my final applications I would like to use the neo board without graphical user interface and be able to compile *.dts files by hand in command line for each peripheral. I understand that they exist since the editor is using them. Could you help me out here?

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Perhaps in /arch/arm/boot/dts/

8. bremenpl

bremenpl New Member

Ok, thank you. Please dont mind me asking to many questions. I do the search but sinehow dont hit the right posts. I like the board hardware a lot, I think its chosen very well. I only miss an on board emmc. But at my first glance, the software and the documentation seems to be tailored for a high level user (as for the software not the user experience level). I would like to use Neo for low level applications, where FreeRtos is a bit to less and a minimal linux os is needed. I will try to figure out the device tree overlays compilation by hand and check your directories as soon as i get home, thank you.

9. whitakeshriram

whitakeshriram UDOOer

It should be in /opt/dtweb so if that water damage restoration exists then perhaps you can run it somehow from a minimal.