Apt-Upgrade has errors

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by ztolley, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ztolley

ztolley New Member

Really glad when the 12.04 Ubuntu image was added, I have a question though.

If I do apt-update and apt-upgrade there are quite a few packages that are 'held back'. Even after forcing things there's a few that just don't get updated, which all seem to be related gstreamer.

The following packages have been kept back:
    gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-0.10 gir1.2-gstreamer-0.10 gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-gconf gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-dbg gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-doc
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-tools gstreamer0.10-x libcurl3-gnutls libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libgstreamer0.10-0 libgstreamer0.10-dev
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 19 not upgraded.

Any idea on how to fix this? In one setup I removed them all just to stop it annoying me but there must be a way.

Also, how about a headless server ubuntu? I'm using my as a server and would be awesome to have something the doesn't bother loading any of that graphics nonsense and is aimed as headless operation.

2. miousername

miousername New Member

Hi,

If it's possible try to use 12.04 hardfp version. I have noticed this particular too.
    But it's not reccomended to upgrade your system with apt-get upgrade.

Udoo filesystem are custom filesystem and with an upgrade you Could broke some custom packets!

3. jdonavan

jdonavan New Member

Then their packages should be in a repo. Not being able to upgrade packages would make the board dangerous to use.

4. miousername

miousername New Member

Video package and gstreamer package are freescale and vivante customized.
    Customized filesystem are upgradable but you have to upgrade them only if necessary!

5. danomatika

danomatika New Member

Ouch. Wish I saw this earlier before updating and kissing good bye to the Udoo Alsa devices :p (Edit: I was wrong, it's because I was using a new user I created that wasn't in the audio group.)

I don't think it's easily recoverable, so I'm reflashing the sd card. Hopefully, these custom packages can be in an alternate ppa thats included in the apt-get sources so we don't hose our systems when upgrading.