Has anyone tried a udoo 3d printer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by htsauce, Jul 12, 2013.

?

is this UDOO'able?

1. Yes, yes it is

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Yes

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Yes ,&and this is why:_________________(leave comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Shure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Maybe, if you know what your doing,

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No, because:__________________(leave comment)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. htsauce

htsauce New Member

Has anyone tried a udoo 3d printer?

i'm mapping out a build, for my capstone project at school.

thinking of a Prusa Mendel model 3d printer , but modified vertical uni-frame design,
    http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_Mendel 6/6

since the Prusa_Mendel type 3d printer utilizes an arduino RAMPS shield, i was contemplating an attempt at this, and was wondering what the community could doo to assist, im still designing my layout and gathering parts, but i have access to a cnc shop , co im going to have the extruder milled,

i plan on assembling the unit with in the next 6 months before graduation, with an arduino until i can get my hands on a UDOO, then i want to add a touch screen & hdd, giving the capability of open source design, via wifi, directly download , send the G-code , & PRINT :) on a standalone device, with the full capacity of functions and input,
    i am excited to at least attempts a build of such possibilities, but im even happier i don't have to pair 4X Raspberry PI's & an arduino (the one i have will be re-purposed ),

also as a student for computer & electrical engineering, i feel a device such as UDOO would help in a trouble shooting environment infield, possibly connecting to a plc in field for re programming, or on the fly editing and troubleshooting of arduino based devices before their final product, with a potential of emulation /virtualization for self testing code and sequencing, in the relative palm of your hand,

( i apologize for the off topic tendencies , i will be posting updates to this post of the build ( conceptual drawing soon ) in hopes of potential insight and aiding in troubleshooting , from what i can tell the UDOO board has the full capability of a standalone self contained 3D printer and am having necessary conversations with my schools program director for potentially supplying ITT students with one of these standardly issued in the tool kits, it would aid with the microprocessors and embedded devices classes as well as the plc course and all the programming one would need (unlike the 8051b ) )

i believe any and all inputs on the above content are acceptable and or could potentially by email upon request, input, ideas, advice, general knowledge is well welcomed and appreciated

2. nayma

nayma Member

Hi htsauce,
    I have a Prusa printer, I use a Arduino Mega and to control the motor drivers and hotend a Ramps 1.4. As far as I know the Ramps 1.4 runs ok with 5 volts, I dont know if it will work with 3,3 volts.

Nayma

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

No reason this shouldn't be doable, the only question being the RAMPS-type interface board... If you can find one that works on 3.3V (and I would think that's going to start becoming more possible as the 5V Arduinos fall out of favor and the 3.3V ones become the "norm".)

Otherwise, this should be 100% doable.

4. nayma

nayma Member

exactly, I also think it is 100% doable, just have to find a 3.3v shield.

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

You could maybe use a logic level shifter shield something like this: http://lagrangianpoint.net/tech_notes/t ... l-shifting (although this one goes the opposite direction) between the Udoo and the 5V RAMPS shield to get what you want.

There's a lot of discussion that's happened on the net about the switch from 5V to 3.3V and getting older shields that don't conform to the R3 spec (5V+3.3V compatible) spec working via level shifter interface shields.

I'd say your best bet though is to look for a version of a RAMPS shield that is R3 compliant so it'll work with 3.3V. If you can't find one, then maybe it's time somebody designed one up...

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

7. htsauce

htsauce New Member

Thatn you for the replys , it.bb is greatly appretiated, i looked in to the links provided , and were inspireing, i may want to develop a ramp for that in multisim and have a board printed, or route one on a breadboard, maby like a piggy back board, or adapter board, i have plans to make a printer with in the next yr, ive ordered my udoo , an am doing a capstone project with That, then develop my print platform as funds arise, ,

As far as the bridge gap, i Wouldn't see it Being Tremendously hard To develop one with protective diodes on each port like the ruggid duino, inline with a slightly apmed power injector, I/o specific application specific would be the Grounding point, But to make a some what universal one , would be sweet , like to get one of thowes usb logic analizers to read what the sheild was for or Could finction, and Steep a cmos to a ttl circuit, and send signal full duplex, or half at least,

Thanks for the ideas and insight, feel free to keep posting on this , it all is saved towards 3d printing ,

Udoo Umake Ubuild

8. htsauce

htsauce New Member

What would be cool tho, to make a udoo, with a switch to go from cmos3.3v, to TTL 5v, for the pinout, , i would settel with dip switch array on the bottom for each pin, or have one on the sides of the pin racks, or if udoo produced a adapter board for there platform, To support thowes sheilds , that would be awsome, id buy it

9. htsauce

htsauce New Member

Thank you for this, this my be the missing link

10. LarryJ

LarryJ New Member

11. Patola

Patola New Member

The is also the RAMPS2Due but it is an intermediary board.

I am also thinking of building a Delta 3D Printer using RAMPS-FD / RAMPS3Due with repetier or marlin for the Due on the UDOO.

12. udoo-reprap

udoo-reprap New Member