Android Overheating?

Discussion in 'Android' started by 1nfinitum, Jan 23, 2014.

1. 1nfinitum

1nfinitum New Member

It seems like Android is overheating and crashing within 10-15 minutes of use. It will get slower and slower until my HDMI image starts artifacting and eventually freezes all together. I haven't tried Linaro, but I don't think I'll have the same issue. I'm writing the image to an SD card right now and I'll update when I boot to it.

2. Decion

Decion New Member

As this doesn't seem to happen to many other persons (like myself) it might be a singular issue. However, to understand it better, could you please state what exactly are you doing during the 10-15 minutes? Like surfing the internet, listening to music etc, what apps are started?

Also could you say what part of Udoo is physically warming up a lot? Typically that should be cooler of the processor and maybe also the WiFi module. If it's the WiFi module, you might want to temporarily disable it in the settings to see if it helps the situation.

In general it might be helpful to install yourself aptoide, and using that you could e.g. install other apps like ES task manager to check for how much the 4 processors are in use. If they are running at 100% all the time, that could be an indicator for warming up quickly. Though I have to say that what you are reporting sounds more like a hardware issue, like maybe the cooler doesn't fit correctly on the die so it's not really cooling anything.

3. 1nfinitum

1nfinitum New Member

I can't really replicate the issue reliably. I was able to run 3DMark fully and watch movies on Netflix, but after all that I still crashed when I was browsing the web. It mostly seems to crash in web browsers though. Both Default and Chrome. The behavior of it is really weird, but the fact that the display is artifacting the way it is makes me almost certain that the issue is a heat issue. Of course this hasn't happened in Linaro, but I wasn't able to test the web browser as my internet was down last night after I posted.

4. unic8

unic8 New Member

I also have trouble running the Anrdoid 4.2.2 Image (v 1.2). The system freezes after an undefined period of time. The artifacts are very strange to me but it doesn't seem to be an overheating problem. I attached a cooling fan beside the board to keep it at low temperature but system keeps freezing.

Since I got no problem with the Linaro system image it seems to be a heavy issue with the Android firmware. There are already known issues on it so I keep on waiting for the next release... hopefully soon :(

5. 1nfinitum

1nfinitum New Member

1.2 was released on 1/10. It looks like support is rather slow so it may be a while before we see a new version :/

6. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

7. mbizin

mbizin New Member

I am using the newer android version 1.3 and I got the same problem reported by unic8, the system freezes after an undefined period of time and after auto reboot.

This seams to be a software issue because doesn't happens with another OSs like Ubuntu 12.04-11.10 and XMBC.

There is something we could do to help to solve this particular issue in the future versions?

8. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

That's weird, i'm using the 1.3 and it works very smoothly, fast and it never freezed (not even once in 2 weeks, always ON). however we'll check this problem before releasing the 1.4.