How to hook up a notebook SSD HD?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DangerousThing, Feb 1, 2014.

1. DangerousThing

DangerousThing New Member

Hi,

I'm new here, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

I would like to hook up a notebook SSD "drive". This uses the slimline SATA connector which only has a 5 volt power requirement. I would like to boot off this 1 TB drive. The tutorial explains how to hook up a standard SATA drive but this has a smaller number of pins.

Has anybody done this?

Thanks in advance.

2. DangerousThing

More information: Yes, my board is a Udoo quad with the SATA interface.

3. DangerousThing

I now have the notebook SSD hooked up, but I can't find it in /dev.

The SSD is a Crucial M500. After a while it does get warm so I'm assuming it's powered correctly.

I have the SATA data hooked up to the SATA port on the Udoo, and the power hooked up via the port right next to the SATA data port with a cable from the Starter Kit.

Help please!

Also, does anybody know when it will be possible to boot from the SATA drive without an SD card?

4. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

if you have a brand new ssd and use it for the first time, you might need to format it to see the device in your OS.
    else there can be a problem with your sata cable (a broken one?)
    if it is formatted and has no cable errors, then i'm not sure what the problem is.. (might be some faulty hardware then, like the ssd itself, the sata port, or a pcb error on the udoo)

5. peter247

peter247 New Member

Like normal the best way to know what`s happening is the log files.

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

NO, you can't boot off the SATA drive directly. You need to have the SD for UBoot, and then have it configured to look for the root filesystem on the SATA/SSD drive, and run the OS itself off there. But you MUST have the SD card in for the Uboot data to be read to start the process.

7. peter247

peter247 New Member

Wow , back to the "Can I boot direct to the sata without the sd card" , sounds like that should be placed in the FAQs , because it keeps getting asked over and over again , by everyone getting their new udoo and wanting to boot from sata.

8. mkopack

mkopack Member

Problem is, it's always easier for people to ask the question than to go read and search for the answer themselves.... I just accept it as part of the job of trying to provide help.