Recognizing a SATA drive on my quad

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by DangerousThing, Feb 9, 2014.

1. DangerousThing

DangerousThing New Member

I want to be able to format and use a 1 TB SSD SATA notebook drive I have.

I have a Udoo quad running under the Ubuntu image on this website. I'm using a 12 volt 5 amp power supply.

I was fairly familiar with Linux 10 years ago, but I seem to have forgotten some of my basics.

I've plugged the drive into the SATA data port, and using the power cable I received with the Starter Kit I plugged that into the port next to the SATA data port, which should be 5 volts, I believe.

I power up the Udoo and go in through the serial port. My only problem is that I can't seem to see the drive, and I don't even know which device in /dev the SATA disk is supposed to be. And then i seem to have forgotten how to format it.

Can anybody help me with this?

Further information: the SSD drive gets warm after a while, so I assume it is getting power.

2. DangerousThing

DangerousThing New Member

I think I'm on the right track. I put my SSD into a USB case so i could write the same image as is on my SD Card.

Then I put the disk on the Udoo where I was able to find it as /dev/sda.

I then used parted to fix the partition size as well as putting a 3 GB swap partition on the SSD. The information is on the web if you know what questions to ask. I asked: "how to extend an ext3 partition using parted on linux." It turns out you also need a few other programs to fix the filesystems. Right now I'm extending the filesystem to fit the partition (3 hours and going strong).

More later when I find if this actually works.
    -
    Jay

3. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Did extending the partition size work? Commands needed? Thanks!

4. peter247

peter247 New Member

I have a 80 gb SSD and that boots like a dream with only uboot on the sd card , But I`ve found that my 512 gb drive will not boot with only the uboot on the sd card .
    My work around is to put uboot and the kernel on the sd card and use the RFS on the sata.
    I`m not sure if it`s the size of the drive etc , but some drives will run the kernel off the sata drive , but stop when it comes to mounting the RFS.