Voice operated UDOO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by francescomm, Feb 12, 2014.

1. francescomm

francescomm Member

When I saw this I was blown away:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... Assistant/

The PI is too slow at it, as can be seen by videos, but my UDOO-Quad-on-wheels might be perfect.
    I mean I could just call it: "Here UDOO.. here" haha :D

It uses Steven Hicksons voice command software that apparently is open source and free.

If only I had time.. anyone tried anything similar? Any idea if it works?

2. cam

cam New Member

this is on my list to add to my robot! Currently I'm working on text-to-speech via the Google Web service and it is working really well. This will give me updates as to what is going on the UDOO without connecting to it remotely. (since it will be running headless.)

There are different voice recognition frameworks out there, a haven't looked at them in much detail yet. Google also has a web service for voice-to-text. Since all the processing is done by Google it should run pretty well on less powerful machines.

You can find an example of it here http://www.athoughtabroad.com/2013/05/22/using-google-s-speech-recognition-web-service-with-python I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

For text-to-speech there is also an Arduino compatible chip called the EMIC 2. The voice is somewhat robotic but it's simple to use. http://www.parallax.com/product/30016

I figure that Google's voice recognition technology is one of the better solutions out there. The only down side is it requires internet.

3. francescomm

francescomm Member

Yes but this might be just a matter of compile and install:

It works locally, does not depend on internet+other websites+companies, it should be quite fast on a quad if it works on the PI, and it sounds quite good in the demo video! Gosh, I'm lucky my UDOO is off at the moment, or I'd be playing via VNC instead of working right now!

4. bhakta

bhakta New Member

I had Steve Hickson's VoiceCommand functional using the debian image and modifying the code a bit. Running continuously I ran into problems. I was unsuccessful on the ubuntu build.

Ideally I would like to use voice in android builds, but I find it shocking that android builds have no support for microphone or audio in when the platform is built for cell phones with audio capability.

I'm looking for alternatives at this point such as odroid, if hardware support for the udoo doesn't improve. even for a quad core running stock and nothing loaded it seems very sluggish compared to phones and tablets with far less power and memory.