HOW TO: Get the bluetooth dongle working in android

Discussion in 'Android' started by nxocorp, Dec 9, 2013.

1. nxocorp

nxocorp New Member

Hello All, Noob Here

Wondering if anybody has had any success using the Bluetooth dongle under Android 4.2.2 (1.1 image)
    When i try to toggle on bluetooth via settings, it gives me an error and toggles back to off state.

Do i need to do some advance configuration or update the Android image?

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

It's a known issue. We're working to fix it. The next Android release will have a working bluetooth.

3. TheLorax

TheLorax New Member

Any estimate on when the next release of Android will be? Looking forward to using Bluetooth heavily in an upcoming project.

Thanks,

TheLorax

4. delba

We're working hard to release the next version of Android before christmas but i'm not 100% sure we'll make it. For sure at the beginning of January.

5. TheLorax

TheLorax New Member

How close are we getting to the new Android release? Thanks.

6. delba

We hope tomorrow. Monday top!

7. grandma

grandma New Member

I saw your message on facebook indicating the new version of android for udoo is available for download, congrats on that! Did you manage to get the Bluetooth support in this version? it was not mentioned in the fb message...

8. CMSweb Media

CMSweb Media New Member

Doesn't seem so, but I may be wrong. For me, no bluetooth support in version 1.2.

9. Bela

Bela Member

Me too actually. Bluetooth support would be awesome for wireless controller

10. delba

11. grandma

grandma New Member

Hi,

I just installed image 1.3 on my UDOO dual. After plugging in my usb Bluetooth dongle, I cannot set Bluetooth to "on" in the settings screen; it keeps flipping back to off.
    Does anyone have the same issue?

12. Decion

Decion New Member

Just tried it and yes, I do have the same problem. It doesn't matter if the dongle is connected on booting the system or it'll be stuck in while running, the bluetooth switch flips back and the status screen shows activation tries for bluetooth over and over again for about 2-3 minutes, then all is quiet as if the system gives up trying to activate bluetooth.

13. mrdude

mrdude New Member

Same here - the switch keeps flipping back off again. It's a pity as I wanted to get my xbox 360 controller working on this - I was playing riptide but using a keyboard is crap. I've converted xbmc to the default launcher now so being able to control that with my controller would be great as well.

Please fix guys.

14. delba

I just tried my Bluetooth dongle with the 1.3 image and it works properly. Do you guys see the blue LED on?

15. Decion

Decion New Member

Yes, on my dongle the blue light is clearly there when I stick it into the usb slot, however Udoo/Android is not able to activate it through the settings. The bluetooth switch there just keeps flipping back to "off" when trying to turn it "on".

How exactly are you activating the bluetooth dongle? Is there any secret or magic we're missing some how?

16. CMSweb Media

CMSweb Media New Member

I brought my bluetooth dongle just to run! :)

It only works for me, when I connect the bluetooth dongel to the "USB PORT J24" with the help of the adapter cable.
    My setup, fresh 1.3 image with gapps and no name china mini USB Bluetooth Dongle from ebay.

[​IMG]

#1 Connect USB Bluetooth Dongle to adapter cable
    #2 Plug adapter cable into J24 Port
    #3 Reboot UDOO
    #4 Bluetooth is allready turned on!

17. Decion

Decion New Member

Ok, that could mean that Bluetooth itself is working basically on Udoo/Android 1.3, BUT not with all the adapters.

The adapter I am using and which is NOT working is the one from the Udoo Kickstarter project. So it also has the Udoo logo printed on it and there's also a printed text stating Bluetooth 4.0.

Please Udoo developers, could you get back to this topic and check if the Udoo Bluetooth dongle from the Kickstarter projects works in general and if so, what are the steps to activate it? It seems we do have several people here that are not able to use it.

18. Decion

Decion New Member

Ok, I need to take this back. Today I retried the Kickstarter Bluetooth dongle again. I sticked it in at the upper port of the standard 2x USB port part of Udoo. After sticking it in I was not able to activate Bluetooth.

But then I did a clean reboot and going into the settings I could see Bluetooth was "activated" automatically.

Then I tried to connect a HTC smartphone via Bluetooth and was able to do so with my first try without any problems.

So to sum it up, Bluetooth seems to work and also the Kickstarter dongle. I'm really happy about that. I'm still puzzled why it didn't work at first. Maybe it depends on if the USB ports are used directly and not on a USB hub, as maybe the BT dongle draws to much power(?). Just an assumption. However, it works now.

19. obueno

obueno New Member

I am also having some issues, in my case I'm using a UDOO Quad and a Bluetooth dongle "Bluegiga Low Energy", when I go through a terminal to see the kernel messages and plug the USB Dongle with the cable adapter in the J24 port it says:
    And that's all, bluetooth switch keeps going to off and no blue led.

20. dzondo

dzondo New Member