Dual arrived - initial impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Capstan, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Capstan

Capstan New Member

Just received a Dual and so far it is looking very good. I downloaded the Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 image and flashed it to an SD, it booted up right away and presented a graphical desktop. Right away I could see that the Duo is considerably faster and more responsive than my Raspberry Pi. Wired Ethernet worked fine immediately, the Chrome browser was available as an icon on the desktop, I was able to fire it up and surf the internet reasonably well. No speed demon, but very acceptable.

I was able to use the Applications->System Tools->Preferences->Network Connections utility to add an interface to my local wireless network. Success! I logged on to the router from my main computer and assigned a static IP address to the Duo so that I can easily log on to it remotely. I was able to establish an ssh session, no problem. I see that there is an Arduino subdirectory, I assume the tools are already present and I will begin experimenting with it shortly (no previous experience with it).

I also downloaded the Android image and flashed that to a different SD. It came up right away as well and was able to connect to the wireless network. The performance is about at the level of a $100 tablet - usable but much slower than my cellphone for example. It comes with almost no apps and the Play Store is not present. I see there is a thread describing how to add it, I'll try going through the somewhat complicated steps and hope for the best, but I expect to be running Linux most of the time.

Overall experience is surprisingly satisfactory and I look forward to getting some hardware projects under way.

2. Capstan

Capstan New Member

Re: Duo arrived - initial impressions

Lol, I see I called it a Duo, its obviously a Dual.

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Re: Duo arrived - initial impressions

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the community... Please let us know if you have questions or issues..

Regarding android, the UDOO hasn't been certified yet but should be soon to officially get Gapps including the Play store.. Until then if you check out the forums more you will find a work around to get them installed and working

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member