Udoo for data aquisition applications

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mouha, Nov 29, 2013.

1. mouha

mouha New Member

Hi,

I intend to buy a Udoo board but I'm still wondering about things, so sorry for these silly quesitons :

- I have to develop a data aquisition project under Xenomai + Qt and I didn't see any thread / tutorial / whatever about it on Udoo.
    I know that Yocto is able to manage i.Mx6 but as I already own a i.Mx53 board I also know that it's not always straight from compilation , it may happens that things don't work right away.

So if you can tell me how to succeed to be able to have, for example, an accelerometer to be read under Linux-Xenomai in RT and displayed with the 7" LCD with Qt. Debian , Yocto ( minimal-xenomai ?qt-xenomai-sdk ? ) what is the best board single, dual, quad ?

Thanks

2. mouha

mouha New Member

Doesn't ring a bell ?
    Am I out of the subject or ....?

3. DangerousThing

DangerousThing New Member

It all depends on how the sensor is read and if it is 3V3 compatible. I just bought a few sensors from Adafruit, including a combined accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, and temp/pressure. It is read via I2C I believe. Once it arrives I can do some experiments to see how it works and what I have to do.

One thing is that Linux is not a real time operating system. I'd let the Arduino part handle the real-time collection and hand it off to Linux as it can if you need real time performance.

4. DangerousThing

DangerousThing New Member

To answer one of your original questions, I got the quad for basic experimentation. I have it rigged up with a large SSD notebook drive. I'm still working out what it can do and what it can't. I'm hoping to hand the real projects off to a Raspberry Pi once I've worked them up and minimized them.

I'm hoping to use my Udoo as the main brains of my next robot, but that's a ways away.

5. Capstan

Capstan New Member

I've got a Dual running Ubuntu. It is connected up just fine to my home WiFi and I get a good remote graphical desktop on it from my Windows PC via VNC. I am able to use it to compile and run some simple Arduino sketches from that desktop - blinking lights etc. The compile time for sketches is lengthy, nearly a minute, so in practice you would be wanting to develop Arduino code on a PC and send it to the Arduino side of the Udoo via USB.

I was hoping to be able to get text data from the serial port on the Arduino input-ted to the Linux side of the Udoo and thereby have a small and powerful combination. So far that hasn't been working for me and I really would like to understand how to make that happen. Also I am concerned that you may not be able to program the Arduino side using an external PC and ever be able to get serial text data to the embedded Linux side without doing things with jumpers.

Need some more experienced support people or customers to pitch here, please help!

6. andypugh

andypugh New Member

It is with Xenomai.

I have a working (ish) Xenomai kernel, compiled from the source here:
    https://github.com/andypugh/Udoo-Xenomai/tree/xeno

Unfortunately it isn't a simple case of pulling that and compiling it, as there are symlinks out-of-tree to the Xenomai repo.

I hope to start again with a better workflow.

7. mouha

mouha New Member

thanks andypugh please keep me up to date as I looking closely to use Xenomai with this board.

8. moorsb

moorsb New Member

I have just come across a software package that I think would be great, if it will run on Udoo . It will have to be cross compiled. They have it running on Raspberry Pi so I think it will work on Udoo. http://www.proview.se/v3/

I want to use this with Arduino for the I/O talking Modbus TCP back to proview. This would be all open source hardware and software.

9. mouha

mouha New Member