Cannot get Yocto image to boot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ajbodurka, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ajbodurka

ajbodurka New Member

Hello,

I've attempted to boot up my UDOO quad with the Yocto SD image but nothing comes up. I've reformatted my microSD card and re-installed the image twice. Each time with the same results. I hooked up to the serial debugger and have attached what I get. I was able to get the UDOO up and running after reformatting the microSD card and writing the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. So far no problems with the Ubuntu 12.04 image but does anyone have any suggestions on why I cannot get the Yocto image to boot up????

Attached Files:

2. rootScript

rootScript Member

Hello ajbodurka,

I downloaded the YOCTO image today, and can confirm that I have exactly the same problem. The boot sequence just repeats over and over.
    The version I tried was udoo_quad_yocto_090713.zip which is Release Version: 1.0
    On Mac OSX you can check that your download is correct by verifying the checksum list for the download SHA-1: c79c6961a37eed320fdf9843f69500558c86fc58
    In OSX terminal type:
    Code:
    shasum udoo_quad_revC_yocto_090713.zip
    which returns:
    Code:
    c79c6961a37eed320fdf9843f69500558c86fc58  udoo_quad_revC_yocto_090713.zip
    So either the img is wrong or we are missing some setup instructions, there are no release notes on the downloads page, unlike the other image files.

As a final note, I have tried most of the images (This was my experience):
    Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - works ok, a little slow
    Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean - very slow and crashy, pretty unusable
    Debian Wheezy armHF - Very fast and smooth, 7" display works, but touchscreen doesn't work
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 armHF - slow & unusable, but only image where 7" touch works (but works really badly)
    Linaro Ubuntu 11.10 - Can't remember
    Yocto - Doesn't boot

It would be REALLY nice to have at least ONE image which works perfectly as soon as you load it, with a stable Wifi, Bluetooth working, LVDS touchscreen working, fast & responsive desktop.
    The SD Images page does not get updated very often, maybe some members of the community may be able to contribute SD Images of versions they have compiled from source themselves?

As things stand, getting an Udoo setup with a stable, fast OS is NOT proving to be easy; I had hoped for more, but I think this is going to be a long road, some patience is needed (Unfortunately !)

Carlos

3. ajbodurka

ajbodurka New Member

Thanks for replying Carlos. I'm happy in the fact that it wasn't just me having the issue but sad in the fact that there is no solution :( . Right now I'm using the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I haven't experienced it being too slow, my main issue is the crashes. It seems to crash a lot for me.

4. rootScript

rootScript Member

ajbodurka,
    I have used both Ubuntu 12.04 LTS & Debian Wheezy armHF stock images. Debian is FAST and totally STABLE, no crashes at all.
    I would really recommend trying Debian, just use another microSD card.

5. acheca

acheca New Member

I'm having the same problem. Any updates so far? In the meantime I've been using Debian Wheezy but I would like to try the Yocto image.

6. bwautosport

bwautosport New Member

Try updating just your U-boot to the version provided at the binary download location; I think there's some disagreement between what U-boot thinks the hardware is, and what it actually is. Notably, the U-boot provided with the Yocto image reports MX6Q-SECO_Q7, where UDOO is the correct board.

http://www.udoo.org/downloads/

That will require dd'ing the u-boot binary to your SD card.

Quad:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=u-boot-q.imx of=/dev/<MICROSD_DEVICE_NAME> bs=512 seek=2
    Dual:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=u-boot-d.imx of=/dev/<MICROSD_DEVICE_NAME> bs=512 seek=2
    dd commands from here: http://www.elinux.org/UDOO_creating..._from_precompiled_binaries#Install_the_U-Boot