Does UDOO has sleep mode?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by diego, Mar 3, 2014.

1. diego

diego New Member

Hi!

I think UDOO is the answer for what i need.
    Im building a smart car tracker, part of the solution is based in the arduino ( read the sensors and wake up the other board ) and the other part is the processor, where all the logic is.

Can i make the I.MX6 sleep and the SAM3X8E stay active?
    When i get some kind of read from the sensors, like the engine turned on, can SAM3X8E wake up I.MX6?

Have any power consumption measurement using oly the SAM3X8E?

If this is possible, its the answers for all my problems.

Thanks!!!

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

N, you can turn off the SAM3X from I.MX6 but you can't do the opposite. The I.MX6 must be active, if it's off the SAM3X goes off too.

3. rootScript

rootScript Member

why don't you build the sensors into a low powered daughter board with a data logger & real time clock. When you switch SAM & IMX6 off, you can log the data from the sensors to sdCard. Then switch everything back on with an engine start, or use a RTC to wake the SAM IMX6 every hour to process data and send it to what ever is tracking it.
    Good luck

4. diego

diego New Member

Thx guys!

@rootScript, this is my original idea, i am building this platform using arduino and raspsberrypi.
    when i saw the udoo, I thought "well, i can do the arduino and raspsberry processing with just one board", but has this sleep issue :/
    anyway, thanks :]

5. Riaan

Riaan New Member

I agree with Diego. This is actually a very significant design limitation which hinders the implementation of mobile projects. Being able to use that little Cortex-M3 for the management of power, events, sensors, etc. — and then bringing the rest of the board out of sleep only when needed would have been ideal for that sort of thing. Using a separate daughter board for this purpose is a total waste. A future revision of UDOO should allow the two processors to genuinely operate independently of one another.

@delba:
    Is there any possibility for a workaround or a "good enough" solution? Would it be possible to get the i.MX6 to enter a very low power state (NOT OFF), and still allow the SAM3X to continue to function?

6. diego

diego New Member

+1 vote!

Would be great this functionality

7. peter247

peter247 New Member

+1 on that one too.

So what about the "UDOO Lunar Rover Development"

http://www.udoo.org/udoo-lunar-rover-development/

The Rover has to be fully powered all the time ? , That going to need one big battery or have a very very stort life !!!!

8. mkopack

mkopack Member

Peter: You can be pretty sure that the drive train motors and the system heaters are going to eat WAY WAY more of the power than the electronics will...

9. peter247

peter247 New Member

10. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yes they have those modes... They also tend to use VXWorks as the OS to get realtime capability as well. The thing with the Lunar Rover challenge is to see what can be done with off the shelf commercial hardware/software that isn't custom designed (at insane costs) specifically for that environment.

Depending on what is being done, the processor SHOULD be automatically ramping up/down as needed (ie, it's not banging away at 1GHz all the time, and rather drops down to more like 400mhz when idle.

But yeah, I know what you're saying about sleep mode. It's typically used on space probes either when they have to go through a long term cruise phase, or a low-power consumption "dark" stage, or a "safe" mode to help it survive periods of low power or when you know you're not going to be really doing anything for days/months/years.

For a lunar rover type probe, there's typically a 2 week long period of being in lunar night. If the mission only has to last 2 weeks, and is timed to land right at lunar dawn, then this probably isn't a concern. But of course YMMV depending upon mission parameters and needs.

11. peter247

peter247 New Member

Hopingly my last post on this topic for a while .

Not tried the android image , but if you click on ( press ) the power off menu tab , what does it do ?
    Don`t that switch it off ? ( Low power state ) , and can be switch back on with the power button which is the one no one could work out what it does ?.

The cubietruck / board is similar hardware eg a mobile phone hardware.
    The android image switches off and you can switch it back on with a power button , but on debain you can halt it , a shutdown only reboots , and doesn`t switch it off.

12. delba

You need to use the keyboard buttons: "Sleep" to go to sleep mode and "Wake Up" to come back to the normal mode. You can also power off Android using the "Power" button.

13. fabio978

fabio978 Member

The Power button doesn't work for me in Android... it does nothing.

14. fetcher

fetcher Member

This is not true, at least not for the Udoo board version I have (Rev. D?). Try loading a simple LED-blinker sketch into the SAM3X, then doing 'shutdown -h now' from Linux-- preferably with a wattmeter or ammeter on the Udoo's DC-In to record changes in power use. The i.MX6 transitioning to soft-off does cause the SAM3X to reset, possibly due to transients on the gpio0 line or other shared signals, but it starts running again after just a second or so.

Also, the SAM3X is indeed capable of powering the i.MX back on. Take a look at page 15 of the schematic, upper-center. Notice the ON_OFF signal from pg.2 (power supply section) is tied to PB24 on the SAM3X. According to

http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/PinMappingSAM3X

PB24 maps to "pin 78" in Arduino notation. So, a simple low-high-low strobe to that "pin" will power a shut-down i.MX6 back on, under SAM3X control!

There are also signals connected to hard-reset the i.MX6 from the SAM3X (PB3), and to temporarily change the i.MX's boot device (PB0, PB1) which might be useful for recovering from a failed OS upgrade, but I couldn't find any "pins" matching these within the Arduino environment. Worst case, the Arduino libraries might need to be patched to assign some numbers...

Anyway, here is a quick proof-of-concept sketch. An LED on pin7 will show the ~30 second fade-in/out "countdown", followed by a quick blink just before powering on, but isn't necessary. As with physical power button presses, periodic strobes to ON_OFF have no effect while the i.MX is up and running.

Code:
    int led = 7;
    int brightness = 0;
    int fadeAmount = 5;

void setup()  { 
      pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
    } 

void loop()  { 
      analogWrite(led, brightness);    

brightness = brightness + fadeAmount;

if (brightness == 0 || brightness == 255) {
        fadeAmount = -fadeAmount ;
        // blink LED to signal imminent write to power strobe
        analogWrite(led,0);
        delay(250);
        analogWrite(led,255);
        delay(250);
        analogWrite(led,0);
        delay(250);
        analogWrite(led,255);
        delay(250);
        analogWrite(led,brightness);

// strobe ON_OFF signal
        digitalWrite(78, LOW);
        pinMode(78, OUTPUT);
        delay(250);
        digitalWrite(78, HIGH);
        delay(250);
        digitalWrite(78, LOW);
        delay(250);
        pinMode(78, INPUT);
      }     
      // wait for 600 milliseconds -- slow dimming to ~30sec per half-cycle
      delay(600);                            
    }

Flash that to the SAM3X, 'halt' the linux side and watch what happens. For an accurate test, make sure the i.MX watchdog timer has not been enabled.

As far as a proper sleep mode, rather than full shutdown, "echo mem >/sys/power/state" appears to work (power use drops to ~1.1W w/ SAM3X still running the fader busy-loop, just slightly more than when i.MX6 is fully halted), but I'm not able to wake the Udoo back up again from this state, via the power button or any other means... a hardware reset is the only way to recover. Maybe wakeup events need to be established through some preparation process before going to sleep? Hopefully this is just a software or config issue, and not a hardware limitation.

15. yankneck696

yankneck696 New Member

Has anyone gone further into this issue? For my project, I would like to be able to have the "Ignition ON" resume from sleep mode. If at all possible, also possibly from the WIFI card. But, I need minimal draw from the system. I have not ordered the board yet, but will shortly.

Thank you,
    Ed

16. delba

Yep, in we're aware of this issue in android, we'll fix this issue in the next 4.3 release

17. tnguyen

tnguyen New Member

Was this fixed in the 01-28-2015 Kitkat released? My UDOO goes into sleep mode and I can not wake it up without a RESET or POWER cycle. Please advice. I am running Android 4.4.2 version released on 01/28/2015.

18. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi tnguyen,
    I'm sorry for the inconvenience but this issue is still present. We'll fix in the next release or sooner if we manage.