Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by delba, May 8, 2013.

1. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Hi Stefano, Welcome ;)

2. ktateishi

ktateishi New Member

Hi, I'm Kevin

I have 10 years of work related programming experience but it was all financial models in Matlab, C#, VBA, and SQL, so this is my first experience dealing with any hardware related code.

I got interested in UDOO after searching for a HTPC device to stream high quality flac music files, connect to Netflix, and run some game emulators. The commercial devices seem either very limited (poor UI and downsample music) or very expensive. UDOO with XMBC, Volumio, and emulators for android seem like a good combination of function and speed at a reasonable price.

So far, I've gotten Ubuntu booting from a SATA drive, setup Volumio with updated MPD and SATA storage, and played some Mario Bros with my son.

I'm looking forward to configuring a multiboot from a SATA drive next. I hope someone will create a tutorial for multiboot feature of the updated u-boot 2013 in the new Ubuntu 12.04 V2.1 release.

After that I would like to use the Arduino side of the UDOO to connect some control switches/knobs, indicator lights, and a small LCD display.

Regards

Kevin

3. delba

Hi Kevin, welcome. All the stuff you mentioned are pretty cool, UDOO is definitely the board you're looking for.

4. Moldy01

Moldy01 New Member

Hello Everyone,

My name is Mitch. I've been in electronics since the early 80's. Unfortunately, somewhere along I ended up going "Soft"(ware). Udoo is my way of getting 'home' somewhat.

I'm hoping to utilize Udoo for home projects and experimentation. Currently planning a robotic witch to sit on our front porch at Halloween. Would like to make her sit stirring a bubbling cauldron, while waiting for approaching kids. Sensing approaching kids, I'm thinking of having her rise from her seat, and point a finger skyward with lightning bolts coming from her finger. (Did I mention that another hobby is Tesla Coils??). At any rate, this seems like an interesting starting point.

Anyway, good to meet ya all. Hope that we can share ideas and thoughts along the way.

Have a GREAT day,

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

Ahhh, you're obviously a kindred soul who believes it isn't a good Halloween unless you get at least 3 children to cry (or wet themselves) :)

6. delba

Hahah ok Moldy01 now i really want to see that! :D Welcome in our community though

7. Guilebaldo

Guilebaldo UDOOer

Hello, I am Guile from Guadalajara in Mexico.
    I am interested to buy a UDOO-Quad version, so I got into the "buy" section but it looks like there are distributors for USA & CANADA; for Europe and countries near to Europe......and most recently Brazil.
    So my question is: what distributor should I choose for a shipping to Mexico?
    I am an EE and I work as VLSI analog designer; I want to start doing DIY projects for home-automation (as a hobby), I think UDOO is the best option currently.

Thanks in advance for your support, I really look forward to start using this SBC.

Guile

8. delba

9. Guilebaldo

Guilebaldo UDOOer

Hello Matteo, I did already buy the UDOO Quad from the official shop as you recommended.
    I already received the email about the "Invoice number".
    One question, I bought the "Starter Kit Usa" and it comes with an SD card, does it have the image to boot in Linux or Android?........Or will I need to download the image to the SD card?

Thanks for the support.

Guile

10. delba

You need to download the image and flash the microSD (it comes empty).

11. Guilebaldo

Guilebaldo UDOOer

Hi delba,
    my UDOO Quad already arrived last Thursday. A fellow co-worker helped me to test it (he already had one and was working with it).
    I downloaded the Ubuntu image and it worked fine........I am actually writing this using Chromium from the UDOO.
    I have a lot of doubts about a lot of stuff, so I have to read more about this.

Thanks for the support!

Guile

12. ivob

ivob New Member

ciao a tutta la comunità di Udoo ! sono impaziente di sperimentare con voi GRAZIE!!!

13. delba

Hi Guile, welcome. If you need some help or clarification don't hesitate to ask.

14. delba

Ciao ivob, benvenuto! Noi siamo impazienti di sapere le tue idee ;) In inglese ovviamente :D

15. stanleyseow

stanleyseow New Member

Hi, I'm Stanley from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, an electronic hobbyists with my blog and fb group at http://arduino-for-beginners.blogspot.com/ mainly working with Arduino and Raspberry Pi on debian..

I had ordered a DigiX but when I saw the specs of the UDOO Quad, I had to order one as running Linux connected to the Arduino serially is way too cool...

I ordered two units of UDOO Quad ( with free shipping ) and was surprised that the units arrived FOUR days later to Malaysia via UPS from Europe... This is a "two thumbs up" for firstly the "free shipping" and secondly, using an express services (UPS) instead of regular postal services...

As I'm familiar with linux, mainly debian, I'm going to port my home server running soekris net5510 (for many years) to the UDOO with the Arduino side having probably a 5" TFT for statistical display...

Keep up the good work, UDOO team!!!!

16. delba

17. dlundh

dlundh New Member

I'm Daniel from Sweden. I got the Quad board via Kickstarter but haven't really used it yet. I lack a case, I saw there is one for sale now on the board so that will probably get me going. I plan to use the Udoo with Volumio and probably other audio projects.
    http://volumio.org/

18. delba

19. isdale

isdale New Member

Aloha

I am Jerry Isdale, a long time software engineer in wide range of bleeding edge tech.
    I am the founder of Maui Makers - the first mid-pacific makerspace. Being out here has some advantages but shipping costs, spare parts and lots of techies to share ideas/projects are not among them. We do have a fairly good small group, with lots of artists and others learning high tech (as we also learn low tech).

I picked up a Quad/Duo Udoo pair with the Kickstarter campaign. Alas they have been sitting in the the GetToDo project pile for far too long. I pulled out the quad this week hoping to get some things working with it but not sure if I will have time to do it and everything else before I leave for a 1 month tour on mainland USA ...

Are any active Udoo experimenters going to be at Maker Con or Maker Faire Bay Area in mid May? Or in the SF Bay area?
    I will be in town all week and would love to get together and share some experiences.

I will also be in the Boston/New Haven/NYC area the first week of June. If anyone there wants to talk-story.

Mahalo
    Jerry Isdale
    http://mauimakers.com
    http://spacegambit.org

20. delba

Hi Jerry, welcome. I'm sure lots of experimenters will be at Maker Faire Bay Area, the UDOO Team will be there too so if you wanna come by we can share some experiences as well.