Setup 7 inch panel on LINUX ubuntu 12.04

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by hillcz, Feb 7, 2014.

1. rootScript

rootScript Member

I couldn't sleep, had to get up top fix the Udoo.
    On Mac OSX using 'Serial Tools' cutting & pasting the setenv code DOES NOT WORK. BUT typing it in by hand does, very strange.
    7" display is working, touch screen works, but touch dragging one point does NOT work. Dragging one finger draws a rectangle, when it should be a mouse pointer.
    Please advise what to do next?
    Carlos

2. rootScript

rootScript Member

The touch is NOT working correctly in this 2.1 release.
    Please can you fix the touchscreen pointer mode on the 2.1 version of Ubuntu 12.0, moving your finger draws selection boxes.
    I would be grateful if the problem could be acknowledged. (at least an ok, we know now, and we are working on fixing it)
    :( :( :(

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Ok, i'll report this and let you know asap.

4. andcmp

andcmp New Member

I think you're expecting a mobile OS behavior (like smartphones), when this is a full desktop OS instead. By this I mean that dragging around your finger on the screen is the same thing of holding down the mouse's button while moving it, and that will make a selection. From an UI point of view this is not a bug but how a touch panel on a desktop OS should work.

Try to not drag around your finger in order to move the cursor but simply tap where you want to place the cursor. ;)

5. rootScript

rootScript Member

I understand what you are saying about dragging. Obviously it is not a multi touch like a tablet/smart phone.
    On my Other linux 7" touchscreen, if I drag my finger lightly (hovering on) on the screen the mouse pointer will follow, when I make full contact and drag it makes a selection. The touch on this does appear to be a little basic.

The touch is also not correct when you open a file menu, with your 1st touch you should be able to open the menu & continue dragging down to pick a menu item. I have another touchscreen linux system which uses one touch dragging in menus, as a comparison.

I fully understand what you are saying, I am not expecting a smartphone implementation in a Desktop OS. All I am saying is the current touch integration is very basic; in desktop mode it could have a pointer, and you should be able to drag in menus.

Maybe there is a setting to change this within the OS, but you cannot get to see a lot of the system settings windows, as they are all cut off & not scrollable. Try going into system settings on the 7" screen, and opening up a setting with a long window; you cannot reach the bottom half of the window & there are no scroll bars. I think the Window Fonts/theme need to be tweaked for the 7" screen to be usable.

I would really appreciate it if you could take another look, I think you may have overlooked something.

6. hillcz

hillcz Member

Please display is very hot. How I can switch off backlight. It is very important.
    I don't know how access to the this port. GPIO4. My idea is compile boatloader with no backlight and switch on after system boot. Next step is turn off backlight in XServer DPMS. Please for help. :cry: please please please

7. allwet

allwet New Member

I loaded the newly released v2.1 Ubuntu 12.04 with hopes all of my problems would have been solved for the 7" Touch Display. Features that now work are basic touch actions for the touch screen. The display looks great, but has a few tweeks to make it right, especially at the bottom of the screen. Examples: 1) Default icon layout has the trash can in lower right, mostly buried below the screen image; 2) Systems Settings window still gets cut off at the bottom. This window is not resizable with any mouse (touch actions), even on a Desktop Ubuntu 12.04 system. This is really irritating when one wants access to the bottom section of this window and the scroll bar bottoms out ok, but the area desired is buried below the bottom of the screen. The following postings outline the problems a bit clearer:
    Code:
    These problems still exists in the new v2.1 Ubuntu 12.04 release:
    http://udoo.org/forum/setup-inch-panel-linux-ubuntu-t970-10.html#p6553
    by ehel Sat Feb 15, 2014
    “...If you open up a windows half of the window is hidden in the button and you unable to click OK or what ever button is at the bottom of the screen.”

http://udoo.org/forum/setup-inch-panel-linux-ubuntu-t970-10.html#p6853
    by rootcript, Fri Feb 28, 2014
    “I have the same problem with the 7" screen in Debian wheezy. I looked in Preferences > Openbox Configuration Manager>
    but there are no options within the themes for window behavior etc... I was hoping to be able to change Desktop Icon Size, and looking for something to change the overall scale of windows.”

http://udoo.org/forum/setup-inch-panel-linux-ubuntu-t970-20.html#p7028
    by rootScript, Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:38 pm 
    “I fully understand what you are saying, I am not expecting a smartphone implementation in a Desktop OS. All I am saying is the current touch integration is very basic; in desktop mode it could have a pointer, and you should be able to drag in menus.

Maybe there is a setting to change this within the OS, but you cannot get to see a lot of the system settings windows, as they are all cut off & not scrollable. Try going into system settings on the 7" screen, and opening up a setting with a long window; you cannot reach the bottom half of the window & there are no scroll bars. I think the Window Fonts/theme need to be tweaked for the 7" screen to be usable.”

I haven't tried sizing the display in the boot arguments for the lvds to anything with larger window sizing beyond 1920x1080, or even if the display will handle it. My idea here is if the display can handle a higher density resolution that all items would be smaller and windows such as System Settings could be fully displayed.

I'm running out of ideas here to make this display really useful. I understand that the UDOO project is still early in its evolution and that bugs and lack of features take time to overcome.

Other observations:
    - With the LVDS display attached, an HDMI display and a USB mouse cannot coexist (cannot be attached at the same time) with the
    LVDS display.
    - Typical mouse actions, like "right click", are not available. Maybe there is a keyboard use solution to this.

Hopefully this information will aid the development team in coming up with solutions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.