Battery Connectors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shanedidona, Mar 6, 2014.

1. shanedidona

shanedidona New Member

Can anyone go over the battery connectors on the quad?

2. evilpengw1n

evilpengw1n New Member

I"m also looking for info on the battery pack. All I know is that it's a JST connection between the wifi module and the sata ports.
    I'm curious if it requires 12V/2A, and if the batteries are charged while the DC input is hooked up.

3. evilpengw1n

evilpengw1n New Member

I've found that the Ext battery is a standard JST 2-pin (avail from adafruit).

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

the battery JST connection is J25 listed as "DC-IN"
    there is no charging mechanism, its simply an exposed VIN and ground pin. the connect directly to the same lines as the CN22 "DC-IN" Barrel jack.
    you can power the board from either, but no Lipo charging will occur.

Please let me know if you have any other questions

5. evilpengw1n

evilpengw1n New Member

Draco this is off but on topic for me. I'm looking to build a DIY UPS using a picoUPS-100 module.
    My UDOO is hooked up to an external USB. My real question is:

If I supply 12V/7A to the UDOO and the external USB, will anything blow up? To my knowlege, the UDOO is rated to 12V/2A, the external USB is 12V/5A.
    They should draw what they need meaning the UDOO will take 12V/2A leaving 12V/5A for the USB. But: if the USB is off, there's 12V/7A going through the circuit. Will the +5A damage the UDOO or am I safe?

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here... I don't get what you mean by being hooked up to an external USB? Do you mean an external powered usb hub???

You're saying the supply can do 12V7A, but the UDoo only draws 12V2A - (ie, it will only draw that much out of the 7 the supply is capable of producing).

If both the USB and the Udoo are off, then there's NOTHING being drawn off... The supply should just sit there merrily waiting for somebody to come along and pull electrons from it...

Ok, just looked at this again, I assume you're saying that you're powering both the USB hub and the Udoo off the output pins on the right side (the 2 pin side, not the 4 pin side) of the PicoUPS? Hmmm... If that's the case then I don't know.... Yes, 5A would be flowing but it would be getting shunted to the USB, and again it's only if the USB is drawing the full 5A (which it's only actually doing if you have devices plugged into it that are pulling that much, which if the Udoo is powered down they probably aren't doing much/anything so even that's doubtful), so I don't see how it would hurt the powered off Udoo.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're going to have any issues.

7. evilpengw1n

evilpengw1n New Member

The last part, yes. Basically I'm using my UDOO as a fileserver. I want to make sure that if there's a brown out the UDOO and the external USB drives stay powered up. the external USB case is rated to 12V 5A. I could use a legit APC UPS, but I'd like to keep the UDOO portable. My thought was to hook up the picoUPS to a 14.4V/7A SLA battery, and run the picoUPS (through a 12V regulator) to both the UDOO and the external USB array. I just want to make sure that If I have 12V/7A to the UDOO DC-in (2 pins on the right side) and to the USB array, that at no point would either be harmed. (by any combination of one being off, being not at full draw, etc).

8. mkopack

mkopack Member

Well, like you said, it's "draw", not "Push"....