Supported LVDS-Panels?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by anlumo, Jun 27, 2013.

1. anlumo

anlumo UDOOer

Hi,

The UDOO team promised writing up a list of compatible LVDS-touchpanels while the Kickstarter was still going on. Are there any updates on that?

2. Golfonauta

Golfonauta New Member

I'm also interested on this. To be able to reuse old panels will be a nice feature.
    Thanks.

3. gnag

gnag New Member

Same here! Would like to obtain a suitable cheap LVDS to be ready, when the udoo arrives ...

4. LiquidWater

LiquidWater New Member

+1 Only reason I haven't pre-ordered some yet...

5. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

We haven't drawn up a list of compatible LVDS-touchpanels yet 'cause we're still running some tests about the LVDS module. Once we have something official we'll share it right away!

6. Flash

Flash New Member

I can't wait to see a list of supported devices such as LVDS's, Sensors and Servos! :D

7. firehopper

firehopper Member

sensors, any 3.3 volt sensor should be fine,

servos like 5 volts for power, 3.3volts might be fine for controll signal though

8. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Hi folks,

we've got some news about the LVDS. Right now the compatible LVDS-touchpanels are the ones with the following resolutions (all single channel LVDS):

640x480
    800x480
    800x600
    1024x768
    1366x768

Cheers

9. LiquidWater

LiquidWater New Member

Thanks for the update! I was hoping to get 1280x800 or even 1024x600 support... but it's still early. Thanks again!

10. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

@Delba

Given your update on LVDS is over two months old, is that still the position or is it able to support more resolutions now?

Cheers.

11. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

@Delba

Given your update on LVDS is over two months old, is that still the position or is it able to support more resolutions now?

Cheers.

12. peterb

peterb New Member

I'm a big noob when it comes to hardware. All i have to look for is a single channel lvds touch screen with a 24pin connector and any of the mentioned resolutions right?
    Anyone know a store that ships to the Netherlands that sells supported lvds touch displays?

13. rkwiles

rkwiles New Member

Would love a list of LVDS LCD touch screens that people have working with UDOO and were they bought them.

I am wanting a 800x480 or 800x600 7" LCD touch screen myself.

I am having trouble finding places to buy them.

14. rkwiles

rkwiles New Member

I am having trouble finding a place to buy a LVDS LCD touch screen with a size of 5 to 7 inches and a resolution of 800x480 or 800x600, any suggestions?

I am not a hardware person so please bear with me if I am asking stupid questions.

Most of the ones I have found do not list them as a single channel type is their some other keywords I should look for?

And would I need some other controller card to go with it or does the UDOO cover this.

I am guessing I will have to build a LVDS cable?

Will their be a list of manufacturers and models that work with UDOO in the future?

15. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Rather than wait I've bought a couple of 14.1" AU Optronics B141XG08 panels.

These are single channel LVDS with single point Touch and CCFL backlights with 1024 x 768 XGA resolution and 200cd/m2 brightness. Inverter for backlight & screen controller all included. Commonly used in laptops from 5-10 years ago and readily available in the used/parts/spares channels and therefore dirt cheap.

For sure it would be a much harder task if the LVDS cables weren't with them, the connectors on the back of these panels are tiny.

As soon as our UDOO quad boards turn up it will be a case of coming down from the 30 pin LVDS panel cable connector (6 of which aren't connected) and mapping those to the 24 pin header on the UDOO. We have documentation for both ends so straightforward but tiny/fiddly work.

We'll make a detailed post when its all done to help out others, although I don't expect our boards to arrive for another 2-3 weeks :-( as we were pre-orders rather than kickstarter backers.

16. firehopper

firehopper Member

awesome :) keep us informed. :)

17. iTay

iTay New Member

B101EW05 v.0 or v.1 will work with the UDOO?

18. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

19. iTay

iTay New Member

but in the other hand, the resolution is 1280 * 800 which you didn`t said its compactable. how can i check if its compactable? and will it automaticlly work after I will plug the it in? (i mean any touch-screen to the LVDS-plug)

20. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

No idea, until our own UDOOs turns up and I start messing with the LVDS touch panels we bought it's a bit of an unknown.

Even then I doubt anyone will guarantee you the panel you're looking at will work unless by pure luck it makes it onto some sort of official list of supported panels. If you want to play safe, your best bet is to wait for the list to be published and buy one of those. There has been talk of an official/supported list of LVDS panels but it was also said that list would be published before the boards started to ship (and the first batch shipped last week and still no list).

In any case... 'automatically work' = no chance. The odds of finding a panel and cable that is exactly mapped, pin for pin, to match the 24 pin LVDS header on the UDOO board are next to zero. You would need to cross-reference the panel documentation to the UDOO documentation to match up those connections. I'd expect to also edit a config file(s) in Linux to drive the resolution/refresh side too.

No doubt in time a supplier will have those cables for certain panels available in a kit along with drivers etc, depends how long you want to wait vs your 'need for speed' etc.