Adafruit Motor Shield V2 is not working with Udoo

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Apurba, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Apurba

Apurba New Member

Hi

What I have uderstood is that UDOO is kind of a proper blend of Arduino Due and raspberry PI. We are trying to use "Adafruit Motor Control V2" to control 4 motors, but it's not working. I have raised my concern in Adafruit forum and it's mentioned that they have tested in Arduino Due, details in this link: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37834

My question is that normal Arduino Due and "Arduino Due in Udoo board" is different?

Regards
    Apurba K Saha

2. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Hi Apurba,

I have just got an Adafruit Motor Shield V2 to work with Udoo. Not sure if this helps but I cut the trace that configures the Motor Shield for 5V and soldered the two 3V Logic pads together to enable 3V logic operation. Also removed Vin Jumper and connected separate 12V supply for the motors. The DCMotor Test runs as expected. Are you able to run the same test program on your setup?

Mike

3. AntennaSmith

AntennaSmith New Member

Apurba:

I got the Adafruit Motor Shield V2 (with no modifications) servo connections to work with UDOO and haven't tested the motor controls yet. Since the servo's are basically a pass through of pins 9 and 10 I can't claim its all working correctly yet. I need to find some low voltage motors or remove the Vin jumper as Mike mentioned above to test. This was under the Debian ARMHF image (apt-get upgraded) using the Ardruino HFP IDE.

4. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

I'm also programming the DUE with an external computer not using the Arduino IDE on the UDoo. Picked up an Arduino Due board just to help solve any problems that might come up while learning how everything works. I found the schematics for the Motor Board on the Adafruit Web site but can't find the link right now. Soldering the jumper for 3V logic operation changes the Vcc voltage for the Motor Control IC's to 3.3 instead of 5.0. If I find the link I will post it here.

Mike

5. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

6. Apurba

Apurba New Member

Thanks for the reply, I really don't understand all your statement. Yes I am providing external voltage around 6 V to 9V , since each Dc motor required min of 1.5 V. If you can explain " I cut the trace that configures the Motor Shield for 5V and soldered the two 3V Logic pads together to enable 3V logic operation" and put a image of the connection that will be great.
    Now Help me to understand do I need to do different soldering to make it work in Udoo Board? If any of you can post a image of it, that will be great help. If you follow the post: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37834 , there I have shown which line of code is failing, looks like some I2C communication error.

Apurba

7. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

From the information in your message the Motorshield should work on UDoo with the mods you have done. How are you uploading the code to the Arduino Due? I'm programming using an external Windows PC using version 1.5.6-r2 of the Arduino IDE.

I have tested the example DCMotorTest program which runs a Motor connected to M1 Forwards and Backwards while sending a tick tock message out the RS232 port. I only have one motor so will mod the program to test all 4 Motor ports individually and let you know if they all function.

8. Apurba

Apurba New Member

I am uploading the code to udoo Bord only. I am running arduino ide provided in udoo image.
    Can u test ur code in udoo for adafruit motor control grid v2

9. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Okay I will test with the Arduino IDE provided with the Udoo Image but this has been a problem for me in the past so do all of my testing with an external computer. Even with the Arduino version of IDE there was trouble with version 1.5.5 and reading Analog(1) input. This has been corrected and so far all is good with vers 1.5.6-r2. I don't have the programming experience to re-compile the IDE for Udoo and that is what probably needs to be done. The Arduino GitHub site has quite a list of reported problems related to the IDE.

So far all of my limited testing has shown that the Arduino Due on Udoo functions the same as an actual Arduino Due.

Attached is a pic of the Motor Shield with Stepper Motor attached to the Udoo.

Attached Files:

10. Apurba

Apurba New Member

Many thanks...I will try to compile the code from windows ide with the version u mentioned.

11. Apurba

Apurba New Member

how you can connect udoo with windows PC. Using CN6?

12. Apurba

Apurba New Member

Wow, I have connected Udoo with WIndows and upload the sample code, it's working perfectly fine. SO the solution is: "Use WIndows Environment and use the latest Arduino version".
    Now I have the problem with the Adafruit PWM Servo Shield, Can you please check if you are able to move the servo using PWM servo shield. I am facing the problem as mentioned in http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=15

13. Apurba

Apurba New Member

Started working after a long time break.
    Started again now where I left my project.
    I have below doubts still:
    >> show me the image how to make the shield suitable for udoo.
    >> can I supply external voltage to drive the motors, since I don't want motors r drawing current from udoo board?
    >> is there any modification required in wire.h file?

14. Apurba

Apurba New Member