noise level

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djy, Apr 1, 2014.

1. djy

djy New Member

Hi,
    I was planning to get an UDOO (quad),
    but I read it makes annoying noise...
    need a confirmation on that
    and suggestions about how to minimize it.
    cheaply

thanx

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

where ? , My udoo dead after 2 weeks which as been my problem with it, because rapid electronics as had my udoo longer than I have .
    but while I was using it I didn`t hear any noise !!! and it`s in my bed room which would have driven me mad any noise at all while sleeping , that`s why I`m using a ssd sata drive , no hard drive noise .
    So to my point of view the udoo gives out the same noise as any arduino , ZERO .

I did a search and only found about white noise on audio , or snr , so can`t see anyone saying about a noise with the udoo it`s self , do you mean on the audio ?.

3. djy

djy New Member

I read it from a gentleman who had purchased a quad udoo,
    from Conrad
    he wrote a review in dutch that
    if he connects the udoo to a powersource,
    it will make annoying noise
    he tried it on several powersources
    but it keeps making annoying noise.
    so he has returned the product and got his money back

However he wasnt sure if he was just unlucky and got a bad one....it looks like he got a bad board?

But how comes your udoo died? does it die easy?
    I dont want to spend 100 bucks on something that may die within 2 weeks lol

4. peter247

peter247 New Member

I guess the more complex a item is, the more chance of it going wrong , and like most electronic items it dies quickly or lasts forever , so just make sure you company you purchase it off as a good returns policy.
    My problem was the usb ports which was died before 2 week , I know it worked at first and had running it headless without using the usb port / wifi , but when I tried the get the wifi working it didn`t works plus all the usb ports.

Not heard about anyone else with a annoying noise.

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

I'm suspecting the author of that article meant RF noise, given that the Udoo is running without any sort of case or shielding. Even then I'd be surprised, I haven't experience anything like that with mine. Could just be he has a bad RF environment to begin with.

As far as audible noise (like humming or anything like that during operation) I haven't experienced that at all. There's no fans, so no fan noise, no hard drive or other moving parts. Only thing I can think of is the author maybe hooked up the audio ports wrong?

6. peter247

peter247 New Member

I would imagine that most development boards are really RF noisily , but can get away with it due to they are classed as a module and not a finish product.

Noise or crackling audio on some programs is the norm for most dev boards too, I don`t know if it`s due to been under powered or haven`t got the user base like p.c sound card .

7. Decion

Decion New Member

I'm having my udoo for several months now. It's in use everyday for about 30-60 minutes. I've built myself a case for it and attached the official 7' lvds monitor onto that case so it's quite like a tablet and my head (plus my ears) is like < 50cm away from the Udoo all the time. There is absolutely no noise, no matter if I use a neutral power source, the power source that came with the pack from Udoo shop nor if I run it with a battery. So I think that was just a "monday" version of Udoo with a singular problem.

What I can say however, there is quite some "white noise" when you jack in headphones. At least for Udoo Android that's the case and I hope that's something that gets fixed with one of the next releases as I find this to be annoying.

8. frudman

frudman Member

Agreed with Decion: no noise running the device but a constant "hissing" sound (what he called white noise?) when plugging in earphones.

The hiss (hissing?) seems to go away (or at least is less loud) when plugging into a powered set of stereo speaker to that same connector instead.

Not sure what can be done to correct it in Android (4.3) but I read (somewhere in these forums, I think) that using Ubuntu, it could be temporarily reduced by changing the PCM setting (not sure how or where this fits). I said temporarily because, at least in the Ubuntu fix, the PCM setting (if that's what did the trick) seemed to be auto-reset to max at some point by the system. While this may not help, I hope this means the problem is software rather than hardware.

I also couldn't find any such setting on the Android side (either as config or as UI setting). I also looked for an equalizer (or something like that) in case some audio setting was "maxed out" but couldn't find anything like that either.

9. mkopack

mkopack Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the audio jack on the Udoo a LINE out, not an amplified HEADPHONE out? There IS a difference and it might explain the hissing...

10. frudman

frudman Member

I was not aware of this and didn't realize there was a difference (i.e. bet. line out-not-amplified/headphone-out-amplified).

So what you're saying is that the hissing into headphones from a line out is normal? And the correct way to connect (for the udoo's line-out connector) is to an independenty-powered speaker set? If so, that's not a problem for us, I'd just like to be clear on this.

We just bought another set of [very cheap] PC independenty-powered-speakers and we're going to test if the hissing really goes away with them (or if we simply can't hear it for the larger volume)
    Thanks in advance.
    Freddy,