Install Google Apps

Discussion in 'Android' started by gryphius_g, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Swanson76

Swanson76 New Member

Same problem here :(. Would be awesome if it worked :)

BTW: Android 4.3 is lightning fast! Awesome!

FIXED: use command 'adb remount' before the push :)

2. cbaillot

cbaillot New Member

thanks a lot it worked

3. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

will be installing GApps today or tomorrow. Wanting to verify a couple things.
    1) the GApp Zip download has not changed from version referenced in previous tutorial link http://www.udoo.org/guide-how-to-instal ... g-android/
    2) the partition fix is no longer required if running the latest version 4.3 (2.0.1)) of Android on UDOO?
    3) that all of the commands in the tutorial are run from Linux terminal with android SD card as a connected disk not run from native UDOO console via a serial connection?

Can someone confirm? GApps is critical for my Project in order to then download and install an kiosk app that I will be running. Thanks.

4. Squawk003

Squawk003 New Member

Hey ALL, I just received my Udoo quad board and I am also trying to install GApps but I can't seem to even get a connection to my PC (Windows 7). I am able to use the serial port to view the boot process using PuTTY but when I switch to the OTG port I get nothing. Can someone shed some light on what I am missing. I have been at this for hours now and can't progress.

5. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

Hello, I'm trying to follow the GApps install tutorial. I've downloaded and unzipped the GApps zip file to a temp directory.

I have a couple quick questions:

1) when I attach my Android 4.3 SD card while running Linux Ubuntu it automatically mounts the following volumes:
    /media/cache ... mapped to /dev/sda6
    /media/vendor ... mapped to /dev/sda7
    /media/data ... mapped to /dev/sda4
    /media/57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b ... mapped to /dev/sda5 ... this one is the "544 MB Filesystem" allocated partition, right?

2) and while the tutorial references /sdb* and /sdb5, I can assume that my Linux is using /sda* and /sda5 correct?

3) Finally, since we are attempting to sync the /system from GApps Zip with the rsync command to /media/sda5, I noticed that my /sda5 volume has no such /system direcrory. However, the /sda4 "data" volume (shown above) does in fact have a /system folder. Just wanting to be sure that I am synching the correct volume? Can validate that I can just use the /sda5 that my machine is resolving, or give me another way to ensure that I'm synching to the correct volume ... is there something I can look for?

Thanks All.

6. Squawk003

Squawk003 New Member

Anyone still out there? Delba?? someone?? Update - I've tried 5 different cables connecting to the OTG port and I still can't get it to recognize on my PC or Udoo board. Just to confirm, the OTG port is the one closest to the HDMI port right? Thats what I have read in the spec sheets but I want to make sure. Note - I have tried both ports

7. Squawk003

Squawk003 New Member

OK another update. I have made some progress. Turns out a simple but key detail was missed (at least in my case). When you connect the USB cable from the OTG port to your computer, DO NOT have 'External OTG port enabled' checked. Only select it AFTER you have connected it to your PC. Now I am able to connect my udoo board and I see it in my device manager. Onto the next issue, I am not getting the prompt to accept the FINGERPRINT. THis is likely because I am missing a UDOO driver. I shall scourer Google until I find the driver.

Attached Files:

8. Squawk003

Squawk003 New Member

Alright, finally got it to work. I am going to have to update the write-up on this because what was posted didn't work for me.

1. Make sure you have the latest Android SDK installed. You will need ADB. I had version 15 and that didn't work so I needed to upgrade to version 22. Make sure you install all the extras, or at least the USB drivers in the extras list.
    2. Download the correct gapps package for your UDOO Android version and extract. I used 'gapps-jb-20130813-signed'
    3. Then copy the system folder from 'gapps-jb-20130813-signed' to your SDK platform-tools directory (C:\Program files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools) to make things easy.
    4. On your UDOO, connenct your micro USB cable to the OTG port. It is the closest port to the HDMI port. Then, plug your UDOO into your PC. Once plugged in, on your Udoo board, go into settings --> Developer Options --> And check 'Enable OTG port enabled' and 'USB debugging'
    NOTE: You are supposed to get a message on your UDOO asking you to accept the RSA fingerprint for your PC to allow debugging. If this doesn't happen, but the UDOO drivers still install on your PC, change the USB mode on your UDOO to "Camera" by dragging down the upper-left portion of the notifications bar in Android and clicking the "Connected as..." dialog. (See screenshot of what I saw in Device Manager once connected)
    5. Accept the fingerprint. Now, on your PC, launch your command prompt and cd into your Android SDK platform-tools directory. (or whereever you store the system folder)
    6. Test the ADB connection by typing "adb devices". You should see your UDOO under the list of devices, with a serial number.
    7. Now, you need to push the gapps package. Type the following and hit Enter: "adb remount". Then, type the following and hit Enter: "adb push system /system". If you copied the system folder from the extracted gapps archive into a different directory, you would use "adb push [path to gapps system folder] /system"and hit Enter. It should begin pushing each Google .apk to your UDOO.
    8. Once done you can exit the command prompt. You should see the Google Play Store in you apps list now and can begin creating an account or sign in using an existing account.

Attached Files:

9. hd1

hd1 New Member

hello squawk,
    i´ve installed with your instructions and all worked till the time i needed the keybord.
    "unfortionately android keyboard (aosp) has stopped"
    also usb keyboard doesn`t work.
    any idea?
    many thx

10. Squawk003

Squawk003 New Member

Hmmm I can't say I've ever had the keyboard problem. Have you tried a different keyboard?

11. hd1

hd1 New Member

hello squawk,
    yes, i´ve tried a couple of keyboards. maybe it´s a problem with the android version. i´ve tried v2.0.2.
    best regards hd

12. Squawk003

Squawk003 New Member

Ya, I can't say I have run into this issue before and I don't know enough to give you much info. All I can say is maybe try starting over. Make sure you have the right build based on either Dual core or Quad core. Does a USB mouse work if you connect it?

13. hd1

hd1 New Member

mouse is working on both usbs.
    gryphius_g writes in the first post tu use gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip, not gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip.
    i´ll try again tonight.
    regards hd

14. YannXplorer

YannXplorer New Member

Hi everyone,

I just tried to install the following gapps package : gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip on Android 4.3 image version 2.0.2
    And it work very well !

Process:
    - Write img Android 4.3 v 2.0.2 on SD CARD
    - At the End, put your SD CARD in a Linux Ubuntu 14.04 PC... I know, you have to get 2 PC or done a dual boot PC W7/Ubuntu 14.04 (Sorry)
    - On UBUNTU 14.04, when you put SDCARD, she will be mount automatically ! But strange thing, Ubuntu mount 4 or 5 media part... Don't worry.
    You have to check the media with the folders : etc, framework, app etc... as you can see in gapps_package/system/* .
    In my case, the media part had the name as "544MB partition" or something like this...
    - Now you can do the rsync command with -avu parameters as it describe in the tutorial.
    - Process will be very quickly ...
    - At the end, unmount media part with name as "544MB partition"...I think it's useless, but we never know...
    - Now, put SDCARD in UDOO (in my case, it's UDOO QUAD). At the start, you'll have a Welcome Screen appeared, it's the screen that ask you to set google mail account !!! ^_^

I hope this can help you.
    Good luck
    See you soon!

15. hd1

hd1 New Member

I´ve tried with gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip
    .....and its working :D .
    Have 1000 thx all together.

16. elchiefo

elchiefo New Member

Some assistance is requested :) - I keep getting the UDOO-MX6DQ drivers failed to install. I've switched the debugging mode back and forth from Camera and Media and still no drivers. ADB does not see my board. Don't know where to get the drivers from as Google can't help either.

17. Squawk003

Squawk003 New Member

I had a similar problem. When you installed the SDK did you also install all the extras?

Attached Files:

18. YannXplorer

YannXplorer New Member

19. fabio978

fabio978 Member

This solved my problem with the drivers! So then i could install also Google Apps succesfully

20. btompkins

btompkins New Member

Does anyone know if the sd card can be mounted on OSX? I've tried, but it says unrecognized device.

Thanks in advance!