Android 4.3 with 15"touch screen

Discussion in 'Android' started by gekkekoe, Apr 11, 2014.

1. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

Thanks, I will try it and post my results here. I do not think it's a hardware problem because if I switch to run Linux, I have not experienced the same issue on Ubuntu.

ekirei, just to be clear, you are also running the 15.6 touch monitor correct? I will try the adjustment above when I'm back in the office next week.

2. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Yes jwilgus, I use the 15.6 touch screen LVDS monitor for sale in UDOO's shop.

3. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Hi gekkekoe, jwilgus,

we've published a new Android version. This 2.0.1 should resolve the touchscreen calibration app issue.

Please test it and let us know.

4. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

ekirei,

OK, so I tried refreshing my SD with the new 2.0.1 patch. It did NOT resolve the issue with my USB touch sensor being off by exactly 90 degrees. I couold only navigate to the Calibration tool within android by using a mouse ... only then would the pointer operate as expected. if I tried to use the touch screen the "behavior" remained off by 90 degrees. For example, finger swipe up or down resulted in moving the screen left or right ... or ... clicking in middle of the right side of the screen would "press" the Home button on the bottom middle of the screen. So, like I said, off by 90 degrees.

HOWEVER, when I did apply the "echo" command sequence you provided above to overlay the /sys/module/usbtouchscreen/parameters/calibration information, the monitor is now working as it should and touch behavior is working as I would expect it ... SO ... that work around DID in fact work.

I hope that this helps you as you diagnose what the issue might be.

Also, is there a way for me to make the change to the /sys/module/usbtouchscreen/parameters/calibration permanent? As it is now, if I disconnect serial connection and reboot, the old problem comes back, so the change to the calibration must not have been saved to my SD.

Thanks for your help ... it seems like we're getting somewhere.

5. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

OK, let me quickly amend my previous post. If I use a serial connection to initially apply the "echo" command, then the screen will be in proper use with the touch screen for that session.

Then ... IF I then re-execute the TouchScreen App and use the touch interface to touch all 5 points and save the results, I can now reboot the system and the calibration for touch IS SAVED.

So, now I can reboot and the touch IS working fine at each boot.

So, whatever the issue that was addressed wit the 2.0.1 patch did not fix my issue ... only manually applying your echo command followed by then re-executing the TouchScreen App and saving the results has now fully updated my configuration.

Now ... on to installing GApps. :)

6. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

SHOOT ... so I may have raised victory flag too soon. The "saving" of my config seems to have been temporary as long as I keep power to the system and only use the system reset switch to reboot.

As soon as I disconnected the power to move the unit back to my work bench and rebooted, the same behavior returned ... which means I need to reapply the echo command again.

So, as it turns out, I need a procedure that will allow me to save this configuration to the SD such that when I remove the power supply I can reboot and it will have the proper calibration saved.

Please advise ...

7. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

And finally ... sorry for the number of posts, but I am trying to troubleshoot this.

So, the config is in fact saved to the SD, but it only works if I control the boot from a Serial connection. I can now reliably reboot any number of times as long as I intercept the boot via the serial connection and type "boot" ... I no longer need to reapply either the LVDS video settings OR the echo command for the calibration. It boots and the touch screen will operate normally with touch behavior oriented correctly.

BUT, if I disconnect serial connection, and reboot, or disconnect power and serial and reboot, it will boot, but the touch behavior will revert to being off by 90 degrees.

I hope that all of this information helps, and I'd be more than happy to provide you anything else you need to reach a permanent fix for this issue. Just let me know.

8. gekkekoe

gekkekoe New Member

I can confirm that the 2.01 image solves my problem.
    But it want's me to do calibration on each boot. That's kind of strange...

9. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

gekkekoe, quick question. Was your issue the same as mine with the USB touch sensor being off by exactly 90 degrees on the monitor? If so, it seems strange that the 2.0.1 distro actually resolved your issue, but did not seem to resolve my issue unless I did not follow proper procedure for calibration after booting from the new 2.0.1 version. I'm not sure how I could get touch calibration to work using the app since my monitor remains "off" by 90 degrees so I am not able to "touch" the presented red screen locations and save the results. I'm curious if your issue was really the same as what I'm seeing or not?

The good news, I suppose, is that I can use the echo command provided by ekirei which fixes the issue, but now I need that configuration to be permanently saved to the SD so i don't have to do it at each cold boot when the power cord has been disconnected.

Thoughts?

10. Suppaman

Suppaman New Member

Please check if the following file has been created after calibration successfull completed:

/data/data/com.udoo.touchscreencalibration/files/pointercal

Here the calibration data are stored.

11. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

suppaman, OK, I followed the following procedure ...

1) booted to Android 4.3 rev 2.0.1
    2) applied the echo command provide here to achieve the fix for USB being off by 90 degrees
    3) from Android, executed the TouchScreen App using touch and saved the results
    4) using ES File Explorer App, I cannot find /data/data/com.udoo.touchscreencalibration/files/pointercal under root / or home directory

if I look in /data at the root or device level, that directory is empty, and if I look in /home/android/data it does not exist there either.

Any ideas???

12. Suppaman

Suppaman New Member

Instead of use ES File Explorer can you check using the serial command prompt?

13. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

Suppaman,

Ok, when connected via serial I've verified changes are being saved. The screen does throw the following message whenever I invoke the "TouchScreen" app:

binder: 2519:2532 transaction failed 29189, size 100-0

Even with that error however, once I touch all 5 screen locations with my finger, I can verify that the changes are being save to /data/data/com.udoo.touchscreencalibration/files/pointercal

So here's the thing, I can only get it to behave reliably when I am booting from Serial connection.

If I shut down and start by just booting from plugging in the power, it will eventually go back to being off by 90 degrees. AND ... actually there is a tactile difference in the way the screen "feels" when making movements on the screen when booting without serial connected. When I'm running from serial connection and have everything configured manually, the screen behaves as expected and everything feels "smooth" on the screen. However, when I reboot without serial, and drag my finger on the screen, I can feel something like a "buzzing roughness" or what seems to be my finger "catching" as I move my finger along the screen. So, something different is definitely occurring. If I then go back to Serial connection, and re-configure, I can force it to operate "smoothly" again by re-applying the parameters.

This is VERY strange ... Any ideas on what to try next?

14. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

Update. I have been able using Android 2.0.2 to get BOTH of my UDOO Quads up and running with Touch Screen 15 inch monitor. I've also successfully installed Google Apps so that I can now continue to look to build my Medical Office Kiosk using the Kioware software.

I do want to report a usability issue that I've noted with the Touch Screen however. The situation is this. When I connect to the UDOO via the Serial Cable to my PC, enter the 15 inch Android video settings, perform the saveenv and boot the UDOO everything works fine and as expected. Specifically, the interaction with the touch screen is flawless and "feels" just like when I'm using my iPad ... it is smooth.

THEN ... when I disconnect the serial cable, the touch screen continues to work, but it "feels" different to the touch. There is a tactile "buzz" that you can actually feel when dragging your finger across the screen that was not present when the UDOO was connected via the serial cable.

I can recreate this and make the buzz go away by reconnecting and rebooting via the serial cable.

This does have some real usability impact as well. For example, when the screen is operating with the "buzz" to the interface, it does affect the sensitivity for example when typing on the on-screen keyboard. touching a key may result in multiple characters typed on the screen, etc.

Since I can actually "feel" the touch screen difference it must be some interaction between the UDOO and the USB interface to the touch screen sensor itself. But what does NOT make sense is why it does not happen when the device is connected via serial cable and booted.

This same behavior exists on both of my UDOO Quads, so I know it's not just a singular problem with one of my UDOOs.

Can you offer some help here or check into this?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

15. jwilgus

jwilgus New Member

[UPDATE] I have filed a ticket with technical support, and they have acknowledged that they can also recreate the "buzz" effect when using the touch screen monitor under Android 2.0.2 and the 15 inch monitor. They are working on a fix. More to follow.