Should I get an UDOO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MultivlaaiTaart, May 2, 2014.

1. MultivlaaiTaart

MultivlaaiTaart New Member

Currently I am using a raspberry pi to host a website. It’s however having a hard time serving laravel projects (a php framework http://www.laravel.com), laravel pages take around 1200ms to load, where a regular php5 page takes less than 20ms.

I have also used xbmc on it, but gave up on that as the youtube addon was so heavy it would simply not play.

I am thinking of getting an quad core UDOO with a small SSD, hoping that it is better suited for these tasks.

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the UDOO is the right board for me to buy?

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

I would say any quad core like the udoo is going to be better .

The advantage are :-

• Double the ram of the PI a full 1 gb .
      A sata interface so faster file transfer .
      A built in Arduino if you are using it .
      built in WiFi
      4 faster cores
      1 gb networking

I quick benchmark I did comparing the Pi to the udoo calculating prime numbers.
    The Pi took over 3 times the amount of time to calculate than the udoo , and that`s using only one core !!!! , So the udoo is a power house compared to the Pi . ( 15 times the pi -+)

But the disadvantages udoo are:-

• You are paying for the arduino due which you are not uising .
      You haven`t got the development base or support you have on the Pi .
      Does not come in a case , which I know is equal to the pi

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

As peter indicated, there are advantages and disadvantages to each platform. It really depends on what is the most important to you... The RPi community is certainly larger and more diverse, and given that it's been on the market longer, there's more maturity in the software.

But based on your needs, I'd be very surprised if the UDoo isn't a much better performing choice for you over the Pi.

4. MultivlaaiTaart

MultivlaaiTaart New Member

Thank you for your replies,

The disadvantages are not a big problem for me. When I bought the raspberry I had no plans of using the GPIO, but it will be acting as a fancy tweeting doorbell as soon as I have a case for the button :). So who knows if I might use the arduino.

A smaller community is not a huge downside either, as I like experimenting and finding out things on my own ;).

I think I'm getting a quad core UDOO.

I'll post my findings when/if I have everything set up

5. peter247

peter247 New Member

I think you will not be disappointed with the udoo if you want a good all-round multi use system and don`t start comparing it to single use boxes, I hear people say about the Pi that it`s so slow at running Xvnc compared to the roku box, which my reply is "SO WHAT " the pi was never design to run Xvnc , it a low cost development platform, get a "Roko box"
    If you want a good all rounder , running a web server , torrent server , etc , etc I think you will be quite please with the results , Not sure what the graphic are like on the udoo and know from other platforms , video is the normal problem.
    I`ve found the Debian wheezy image to be the best trouble free and stable release.