Processing on UDOO

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by joemcder, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Nice work MKO!

Sounds like you're narrowing in on it and are very close now. Time to search the Freescale forums perhaps? In these last couple of days I'm starting to realise that once the specific issue has been identified (or the specific question is known) then the Freescale forums can often turn up significant relevant information.

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

UDOO:
    ARM Family: Cortex-A
    Chip core: ARM Cortex A9
    Architecture: ARMv7-A

pcDuino:
    ARM Family: Cortex-A
    Chip core: ARM Cortex A8
    Architecture: ARMv7-A

I have been following the pcDUino since its release, and something that was posted today by them was the steps to run Processing on the pcDuino. As you can see in the data i posted above the 2 boards are VERY similar. They use the same Arm architecture, only having different cores. The pcDuino uses the equivalent of the i.M5x where we have the i.M6x in UDOO. As such im hoping much of this will still apply.

I will try them this weekend, but in the meantime anyone else is welcome to give it a go

http://www.pcduino.com/?p=1749

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yeah, I think the only issue right now is the serial interface. I have the rest all working... They changed the serial library they use in Processing2.1 from the old RXTXcomm to JSSC and that seems to be where the remaining problem is.

4. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

I still haven't had a chance to break out the UDOO to help over the past week or so. I'm feeling useless but I'm really excited by what you all are finding. Just wanted to post a "nice work". Hopefully I can carve out some time soon.

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

jimmnh: If you're ok with using Processing 1.5, then I'm betting you can use the proceedures I posted and get that one working without any issues. I just figured people would want the newest/latest/greatest, so I went for 2.1.

6. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

I guess there is no problem in working with Processing.js, since it is the same but works on any browser or operating system, and is essentially the same but more flexible. I imagine that people migrating to el.He read that is very flexible with ROS and Arduino. Precisely I decided to use this language together with ROS Udoo in my project. I think it is the most reasonable, as it is similar to Wiring, so I have to focus on only learn a single programming structure.

7. mkopack

mkopack Member

Looks like I spoke too soon. While trying to use the Kinect with the Udoo and the simple-openNI library, I realized that the OpenGL support in Processing isn't working either. I'll have to see if I can track that down over the weekend.

libgluegen-rt.so seems to be the culprit. Which leads me to believe we might have to install (or worse, compile) JOGL (Java OpenGL wrapper).

8. Tronic

Tronic New Member

then processing 2.0 + is not running on the UDOO?

9. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Not fully, no, not yet, but any help to get it going would be wonderful

10. taylo1g

taylo1g New Member

Just wanted to post a reply to help out those struggling to get serial communication to work between Arduino and Processing.

I was just able to successfully run a modified version of the SimpleRead example in Processing. I'm running Linaro Ubuntu 11.10 version 1.3.

Here is my recollection of the steps I followed to get to this point:

1) I followed the "Install Oracle Java Development Kit on UDOO's Ubuntu" tutorial on udoo.org to install Oracle JDK version 7 update 45 (ARM soft float):
    http://www.udoo.org/ProjectsAndTuto...opement-kit-on-udoos-ubuntu/?portfolioID=1394

2) Following the very informative posts in this forum by mkopack, I decided to install Processing v1.5.1 by generally following the instructions at http://www.pcduino.com/?p=1749 previously posted by DracoLlasa (I skipped the openJDK installation step, since I just installed the Oracle version)

3) At this point, Processing would throw a "RXTX Version mismatch" warning, which is due to a version mismatch in the RXTXcomm.jar files that Processing and Ubuntu' Java are using. After reading around a bit and trying the rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2 version of RXTXcomm from http://rxtx.qbang.org/wiki/index.php/Download that some people suggested without success, I tried simply copying the RXTXcomm.jar file from my Arduino directory (/opt/arduino-1.5.4/lib) into the Processing library directory ([installation directory]/modes/java/libraries/serial/library), and...

SUCCESS!!

Processing is now able to receive serial data from Arduino without issues. However, I have not really tried any other functionality other than serial communication as of yet. I would like to eventually get the newest version of Processing running, but this will do for now.

pashakun likes this.
  11. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Thanks Taylo1g for reporting back. :)

Hopefully others will now be able to complete their installations and report back.

A few more details and confirmations and it sounds like a full 'how to' can be written and put up on the Wiki etc.

12. mkopack

mkopack Member

Did you check that OpenGL is working. Try a few of the graphical examples...

13. taylo1g

taylo1g New Member

mkopack, I'll try when I get a chance. I'm currently trying to figure out a major issue I'm having with the Arduino IDE. The Arduino hangs whenever I try to perform simple math operations, use for loops, and make calls to simple custom functions. I'm thinking I might have to update the IDE...

14. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

I think to work with Processing2 is very inportant for potential users Udoo that start in programming, as will be able to use their knowledge of graphical interfaces to program arduino and apps for Linux or Android control from the part of me arduino.I meeting in that situation, without knowledge of linux or programming, is the fastest way to interact arduino and any operating system. Honestly Udoo staff should give equal importance to Processing2 IDE as important as the Arduino IDE. I also think I should give full support to ROS.On robotics systems is where Udoo can make a difference in everything else to do the same with a RPI and arduino. It is what it important projects space, wiring simplification, consumption, power actuators and programming work on-site, where Udoo as I say, it has a great advantage in the field of robotics.I see precisely what ea having less support from the staff. Not a criticism, just a point of view of someone who knows little and has to start from 0. I discuss my situation. I want to make a robot, and I want to program the actuators wiring in arduino.Is easier to learn c + . Want that ROS is responsible for the vision and complex calculations, and send data to arduino.Esto series is easier than linux with opencv and other applications in c +, and create a graphic interface and commands from a tablet or mobile, for this I take what I have learned from arduino to program the app in Processing2, much easier to learn java or android sdk. The best thing would be to learn c + and do it all in that language, but the curve is very difficult. I see easier wiring-processing2 learn and then move to c + or java and with a different mentality and different way of thinking. Right now I do that, it is very difficult to udoo, simply run them and look for the information, feel like buying a rpi. A greeting.

google translator sorry

15. Angelo

Angelo New Member

I can say that I followed taylo1g's tips and I seem to have processing 1.5.1 up and running. YAY!!!!!!

16. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Given that the target audience for Processing is perhaps those a little less technical savvy I wonder if anyone who has mastered it now (such as Angelo or Taylo1g etc) could take the stock Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 and prepare a Processing for it, ideally a prompted install shell script and a self contained archive (that will check pre-req's, install dependencies and ensure it's bullet proof)?

Note: I fully realise that they'll be many who will use Processing for ease/interest and are very technical.

17. Angelo

Angelo New Member

I would love to prepare a processing for it. Unfortunately that is way out of my depth. I am an automated machinery builder that has decided to use the quad as the controller for my machines. That way my customers only need 1 spare controller for any machine that I have supplied, and I just remote in and load the appropriate program. I am using processing because I know that I am able to write the program for the machine that a customer has just ordered. That said I have just started to write the same program in python (tkinter Gui) but as I am a noob at this, I may not have it done by the February deadline. I am still searching the net for tutorials on how to get my external signals (arduino) to interact with python. Once I have accomplished this I will use py every time (where possible).

18. jeffreyw

jeffreyw New Member

I followed taylo1g's post to get Processing running. My problem after following the instructions is:

How do I get the Oracle JDK version 7 update 45 plugin to work with Chromium?

I suspect this is easy to accomplish but I haven't had any luck so far and I think it is best to ask for assistance at this time.

Thank you.

19. nickw

nickw New Member

I have got Processing 1.5.1 working with Serial with the new Ubuntu beta that udoo have released. I replaced the java with the oracle version 45, and the RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSerial.so with the files from the bundled version of Arduino that was already installed.

This is working great with the built in board, but I am now trying to get it working with an external board. This shows up as ttyACM0.

I am able to receive data from it using picocom - originally had to use sudo to get permission, so add ubuntu to the dialout group and now it works can use picocom /dev/ttyACM0 and read the data that is being sent from the external board. But processing only sees one serial device - the internal board. Presumably this is something to do with the files that ship with arduno (as this only sees the one internal serial port).

I don't need to program the external board with the UDOO, just get it communicating with Processing.

Nick

20. nickw

nickw New Member

Answered my own question. Compiled rxtxComm.jar with ttyACM included as an option, using https://github.com/ektor5/rxtx-2.2pre2 as base as this is the bundled rxtx in udoo arduino, and getting a clue from the commit that lists the change to enable the internal serial.

Am able to read either in Processing now, next step to test reading them both in one sketch.