UDOO cases for sale (in small numbers!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmc159, Mar 13, 2014.

1. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

A couple of suggestions: the HDMI hole needs to be wider, no all the HDMI cables fit on it. Same as the 2 Jack and microphone holes. The 2.5" SATA version is something i'm really looking forward to see (as well as a version with holes for LVDS and GPIOs on the lid). Great job though

2. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Thanks very much for your suggestions. They have been implemented. A question on the SATA version. I know SATA drives have very varying thickness, but what is the amount of room people would like to me to leave for SATA drives? I don't particularly want to have to accommodate the very thickest drives because that makes the design look worse, and most of the space would be unnecessary if using slimmer drives.

3. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Also, if I was to add a fan mount on the SATA version, I read from other posts that the built in fan plug does not enough power to get the fan up to a good speed. What are the other options for powering the fan (so I would know where to cut holes for fan cabling)?

4. Luca72c

Luca72c New Member

I think having room for 15mm-thick SATA drives would allow installation of practically every 2,5" HDD on the market and leave just 5,5mm unused space when using a regular 9,5mm laptop drive; 8mm space will be unused when using a 7mm SDD, but this is not a normal case...
    But if you prefer, you can leave 12,5mm room that should fit MOST of the normally used 2,5" HDDs and leave less unused space when using an SSD (just 5,5mm).
    I don't recommend leaving less room available for HDDs (ex. 9,5mm or 10mm), as this would make too many 2,5" drives on the market not compatible.

5. peter247

peter247 New Member

I from memory I think the maximum thickness of a 2.5 inch laptop drive is 12.5mm , but most drives are thinner , 9.5 mm and 8mm.

6. Luca72c

Luca72c New Member

There are some 2,5" hdds thicker than 12,5mm, namely for example Velociraptor and Constellation hdds that are 15mm thick. But they're rare, odd models...
    Most modern, high capacity drives are 12,5mm or 9,5mm thick, 7mm for most SSDs or low-capacity/ laptop drives. I think 12,5mm room (or a handful of mms more to be sure) would be a reasonable choice that wouldn't dissatisfy most users.

7. juncaofish

juncaofish New Member

Wonderful job. Could I have your mechanical scheme, so I can manufacture it in China.. :lol:

8. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Ha, think I'll leave your offer for now juncaofish!

9. fmc159

fmc159 Member

To all,

Here's an album of the slightly tweaked design that should be arriving this week: http://imgur.com/a/aNCdf

The lid mechanism has been changed and can now optionally be screwed down for a more permanent hold. HDMI and SD ports have also been expanded (following user feedback). The acrylic used has also slightly changed and looks even nicer!

10. blade4287

blade4287 New Member

I'm interested in one of the new cases. :) My shipping would be in the US, zipcode 98101. I'm assuming you are going via Paypal?

11. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Hi blade4287, I'll send you a PM!

12. rafbel58

rafbel58 New Member

Hi fmc159,

If the cases are ready I'll be interested in one.
    I sent you a PM earlier this day.

Raffaello (rafbel58 for UDOO)

13. TheJRT

TheJRT New Member

Is the 2.0 case version ready for sale ? if yes id be intrested and ill send you a pm ;)

JRT

14. fmc159

fmc159 Member

Hi JRT,

The new cases have arrived at my home. I'm away until Monday or Tuesday, but will be able to start packaging and sending them then. Yes PM me to sort the details!

15. argmodule

argmodule New Member

hello Fergus (fmc159) can i ask a qeustion i am in development of a udoo educational kit and will be needing cases can u offer bulk prices and could u modifiy the cases logo for my product i am looking for a supplier for my new product

16. mrdude

mrdude New Member

PM and payment send m8 - I'm looking forward to having a case, finally :)

17. mrdude

mrdude New Member

Guys, my case just arrived today - it's very high standard design and quality - much better than I was expecting. I can recommend getting one if you are thinking about it - also don't wait too long to order as you might not get the chance again.

18. Mds555

Mds555 New Member

Registering interest in the Sata case when available

19. rafbel58

rafbel58 New Member

Hi Fergus,

in less than 10 minutes case mounted and perfectly fit with my UDOO (used only as a player with Volumio).

Great work! :D

Raffaello

20. alvaro0811

alvaro0811 New Member

Hi there, any more cases available?

Many thanks