Configuring WiFi

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by cdnyny, Mar 2, 2014.

1. cdnyny

cdnyny New Member

I have my UDOO Quad alive and well, and working off a direct Ethernet connection. I have searched both this forum and the web for documentation on how to configure WiFi. I am running Linaro Ubuntu 12.04, and went through the wpa-supplicant route, but to no avail. Can anyone point me to clear and concise instructions in how to configure WiFi? I am running from the command line using ssh. Thanks.

2. SteamDinosaur

SteamDinosaur New Member

Hi,

I've only just noticed your post and you may have found an answer to this problem by now, but here goes an easy solution .

If the client machine you are ssh-ing in from is running an X server then you could try connecting using SSH X forwarding (the "-X" option for SSH). Once you get a prompt on the Udoo run :
    Code:
    sudo /usr/bin/nm-connection-editor
    This should bring up the Linaro Network Manager GUI on your client machine and you can fill in the relevant information and save it. Once you have done that, run the following command you should see the name of the connection you just created in the list:
    Code:
    sudo nmcli con list
    If so, enter:
    Code:
    sudo nmcli con up Connection_Name
    and that should bring the WiFi up. The only thing I found, using this method, is that the connection came up but the Udoo failed to get a DHCP address allocated by my DHCP server, even on a reboot. I got over the problem by configuring a static IP address in the Network Manager, which is probably a safer option if you're going to be accessing the Udoo remotely.

If your client machine does not have an X-server that will support Network Manager running remotely, it might be possible to craft the config file that Network Manager produces and place it in the /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ directory. This article http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1163023 is quite old but it gives the structure of the file.

Hope this helps,

SD

3. cirrus

cirrus New Member

It was really quick for me with udoobuntu. I did it all through the console following these instructions:
    http://undiff.com/2008/08/wireless-with ... you-think/

I used wlan0 instead of the "ath0" described in that post.

I had to reboot (restarting the network seemed to make it hang).