Green led blinking / UDOO won't boot [Official discussion]

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by andcmp, Nov 6, 2013.

1. MyUDOOQuestions

MyUDOOQuestions New Member

Re: Green led blinking / UDOO won't boot [Official discussio

Given an analysis of my board and the various comments on this forum I would say:

1. There are manufacturing faults in some of the boards.
    2. UDOO is not satisfactorily addressing the problem(s) on this forum or via the official support email.
    3. Given (1) it would seem appropriate to replace faulty boards with tested working boards ASAP.
    4. Failure to implement (3) quickly is undermining confidence in using UDOO boards in the future.

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Customercare through email is not preforming well anymore due to the heavy load of requests. A new and more functional ticketing system will be available in the next few days. Of course all the faulty boards will be replaced. Don’t worry, we care about our customers and we’re going to improve our support system to have all the issues handled asap.

3. delba

4. MyUDOOQuestions

MyUDOOQuestions New Member

Thank you, I have now created a ticket :)

5. delba

;)

6. oilytheotter

oilytheotter New Member

I'm having this problem with my Quad board too. It seems like most everyone with this issue has the quad board. If the dual board works better, I'll go with that one.

I've only been able to boot the Ubuntu 11.10 image. It was the first image I tried and it booted up immediately. I have since tried Android and Ubuntu 12.04, neither will boot. I have tried re-imaging two SD cards with two computers at least 10 times but nothing helped. I started checking the serial output and once saw messages saying that the HDMI wasn't ready (because the cable wasn't connected). I unpowered the board to move it to my monitor and didn't get anything when I powered it back up. I removed the HDMI cable hoping to see something on the serial terminal again, but didn't get anything. I re-imaged an SD card with Ubuntu 11.10, since it was the only image that had worked for me. The board didn't do anything when I powered it on and there was nothing on the serial terminal, but after about 2 minutes, it came up. I hit the reset button to see if it would restart, but it didn't come back up.

This is all to say, the quad board is barely working for me. It works with only one image and is only intermittent with that one. When it doesn't work, I get a solid green LED and nothing on the serial terminal - as described in the subject.

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

i does sound like you may have a faulty board.
    Most of the stuff you did would qualify as completing the basic troubleshooting, i would suggest opening a ticket to allow the UDOO guys to have you check any other things. Once they confirm its the board they will replace it. use the customer care link in my signature to open the ticket

8. joaquim abc

joaquim abc New Member

My quad udoo is dead also.

I received it today, downloaded the image udoo_quad_ubuntu1204_v2.1.img the official website, recorded on SD card. Connected mouse, keyboard, hdmi and network. I plugged the power and functioned normally for about 2 hours. Configured vnc and ssh, accessed remotely, includes some packages vídeo.Executei one shudown. From this moment I could no longer boot. Not show anything in the video, send nothing to the screen in serial connection via USB cable. Le led is greem but d'nt blinking. I have tryed several times the  utuntu_204_v2.1 and Studio_quad images. I am using a 12V 2A power.

can someone help me?

9. delba

Hi,

have you tried to change the microSD? Sometimes they die without any particular reason (expecially the cass 4).

10. ReggMK

ReggMK New Member

Seems like I am having the same problem. \
    \ Just rec'd my Quad-Core Udoo board..a day ago... VERY DISAPPOINTED to see it failed in the box..

Setup to test the unit .. Not able to BOOT, just showing BLANK SCREEN. only see onboard LED light On - remain solid.
    Using the Product kit Power Adapter supplied by your company. So power should not be the issue

Did the same process...
    * Created the SD Boot Disk 4 times, -- still not able to boot. Also tried the Linaro OS - Same situation.
    * No communication from the USB /<serial> port...
    * Tried removing all connections except HDMI ... no avail.

Read all your Manual and forum & tried no luck..... experiencing the same symptons as others described here...
    What should I do next ? >RMA ?

11. delba

12. ozz

ozz New Member

I received my quad 2 days ago and just able to test it. Unfortunately end up on this forum. Seriously.. Why the earth you keep selling the quad boards? do you have anything to say (that helps?) here since everybody has the exact same problem.

13. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

The big problem with a forum like this is that you only see reports of problems - not of success stories. I for instance have a Quad that has functioned perfectly for the last few months and typically runs 24x7.

If you genuinely have a hardware problem then I would think that RMA is the way to go. Unfortunately the nature of this type of device is that a certain percentage are likely to be DOA (and without knowing the sales figures we do not know if that percentage is particularly high).

14. dzondo

dzondo New Member

Same problem here:

yesterday I want to try new release of Android (4.3) on my UDOO QUAD. So I made image to SD card and put it in udoo. Than pluged in the power supply (I have power supply adapter from udoo eshop), plug in HDMI cable to lcd monitor and green LED goes ON and UDOO start booting normally. Than I shut it down and connect the serial cable to change default display to 7inch touch diplay (also from udoo eshop). When I wrote command to change the display (setenv bootargs console=tty......) it stuck- I could not wrote other commands as saveenv and so on... So I unpluged power supply and since this stuck it wont boot. It has same symptoms as others wrote. Just the green LED is ON but no signal on my LCD, also I cant communicate with udoo through serial, heat sink is slowly heated up and thats all. I´ve also tried make a new Andriod image on SD but still nothing. My friend has also UDOO QUAD with ubuntu image on his SD card but that also won´t work on my. :(

So it´s officially dead or what I supposed to do now?? PLEASE HEEELP

Also I made a ticket on "Support Ticket system" but still no reply till now. I made it 23.7. so it will be week now without any answer...

15. delba

dzondo, we already took care of your ticket. Wait for the reply.

16. parry

parry New Member

I just bought a quad board. I see a green light on the board but it wont boot and it wont connect via the serial port. Putty just cant connect to the board.
    Which of the reset buttons resets what on the board. There is no figure which explains this.

Also I find that Win32DiskImager does not work. So I used Roadki'ls disk image which did successfully write the image to the 8 GB microSD card

Not an auspicious start, Anyone got any suggestions ? Serial number14044769

17. delba

parry have you already tried to follow this troubleshooting guide? http://www.udoo.org/faq-items/why-my-udoo-wont-boot/

imho your issue is related to the microSD card. Try with a new one with both UDOObuntu and Android and let me know.

18. parry

parry New Member

It was a problem with flashing the img file to the microsd card. The Win32DiskImager does not seem to work (well at least it did not for me) on a Windows XP machine and clearly Roadkil's Disk Image did neither. The OS X dd command connected to my microSD card (previously being formatted for FAT32) just sat there (OS X 10.7.5) and trying to do a restore of the IMG file to the card in OS X using disk utilities did not work either.

It might be easier for the end user to sell the UDOO with a preloaded MicroSD card (I realise that this increases the cost and part numbers) but it may also make it easier to get started. In looking around it seems that older card readers may have problems see this http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... f=5&t=5834

Anyway, its working well now, after I used a Windows 7 machine to write the image to the MicroSD card. Thanks Delba

19. delba

Great, it' not so easy to sell preloaded MicroSD cards but we'll consider that. Glad you solved your issue ;)

20. rsachetti

rsachetti New Member

Has this problem ever been resolved? I have had the same problem since I received my 'quad' UDOO. I can't get anything from the HDMI port and my serial port won't output anything. It sometimes takes hours to boot. I thought it might be my SD card so I just replaced it over the weekend and I am still having the same problem. Once it's up and running it stays up. However, it was very slow using XRDP and I thought it was just the performance of the UDOO using remote access. Any ideas?