UCASE - UDOO Sheet metal case

Discussion in 'Cases' started by kindiss, Apr 1, 2014.

1. kindiss

kindiss Member

Re: UDOO - Sheet metal case

Hello,

Thank you for feedback i am highly appreciated. I will look possible ways to improve my case design. Yes, i will start commercializing the case. Now i am looking best packaging for safe transporting. And I'm waiting missing parts for full kit (female headers and 5V fans). I want make the case cheaper as possible i can't buy missing parts from local suppliers because it is two or three times more expensive so i am shipping from other countries and it takes more time. To reduce price more i need order more parts, because of my personal limited budget i can,t do it. My boss is a successful cash drawers manufacturer and I get great help and support, but he don't want take a risk, because he don't know anything about things like UDOO board :) So I'm looking possible ways get started. Thinking to start campaign on indiegogo.

2. kindiss

kindiss Member

I got female headers it looks like that need make few top cover modifications and case will be ready for sale.

Attached Files:

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Great! Let us know! Can't wait :)

4. dgustavus

dgustavus New Member

Very nice! Having just struggled with mounting my UDOO, I especially like the idea of the extension headers. I think one of the distinguishing features of UDOO is the SATA interface. Unfortunately, the standard connector and location makes it difficult to actually use. Like you I have a SATA cable sticking up taller than everything else. Is there some other kind of SATA connector or a cable with more flexible wires? A small SSD makes a big difference in performance, and even a special connector (like on the third USB) would be an improvement. MicroSD cards a great for trying out other OSes and temporary storage, but something faster helps when doing Arduino or other development.

Please add me to the list of interested folks when you are ready to sell your case.
    Duane

5. peter247

peter247 New Member

I think it would have been better if the sata socket was placed like the cubietruck .
    Having the sata data and power connectors side mounted , but I guess there is no a lot of spare space on the udoo for that so it would have to be slightly bigger.

Attached Files:

6. kindiss

kindiss Member

Hallo all,

I have issue with fans and it take long time, I tried many fans and find out a problem with voltage drop from 5V to 2-3.2V

[​IMG]

If i want connect fan to 5V J4 connector some fans work some not, if it work i get voltage drop. It seems that fan current should be 0.06 A max? I think voltage drop is not good for UDOO board. Maybe you can offer some suppliers/manufacturers where i can look for fans, or you can offer solution? If I connect fan to arduino pins everything work fine.

I thinking about solution like shown in picture bellow, but i cant find connectors with pass through connection. Maybe you you know what connectors i should look for? Or just solder wires to legs?

[​IMG]

Also i wasn't happy with the case top cover it was too weak. I made some improvement, and now i can step on the case and it is strong to keep UDOO board safe (my weight 90 kg) :D

Attached Files:

7. peter247

peter247 New Member

For the fan what about using a voltage regulator like the L7805 and power from a 12v rail ?

8. kindiss

kindiss Member

Yeah it can be used, but do i need it when i can take constant 5V from arduino pin out?

9. kindiss

kindiss Member

Here is how it looks when i solder fan wires to female headers legs. This solution is good even you have 12V fan, then solder wires to other legs.

Attached Files:

10. allwet

allwet New Member

Impressive case. You have addressed my cabling concerns for LVDS screen and camera cables through the knockouts you have added.

I am interested in two cases once you get them in production. I am located in Washington State, USA. Do you have any idea of selling price and estimated shipping costs?

For fan solution, I suggest using one or two 20mm or 25mm square 5v fans and mount them on the end instead of the top. I have seen them available on eBay.

Keep up the good work.

11. kindiss

kindiss Member

Hello all,

I made final calculation and prepared indiegogo campaign. Here you will be able buy the UCASE. But firs i need confirmation. Can I use UDOO logo in my created images?

12. reiki

reiki New Member

Hi kindlss,
    I´m interested in this case for the quad model. How much will it cost incl. delivering/shipping to Germany ?

Greetings

13. kindiss

kindiss Member

Hi,

It depends on what you need: UCASE HDD choose from black glossy or matted color with HDD place (5V fan, female headers kit not included). Best for UDOO Quad. $13 +$8 for shipping.

UCASE Full Kit with fan, female headers kit and HDD place, choose from black glossy or matted color $20+$8 shipping.

For more info you can look to indiegogo draft campaign. One UCASE HDD weight ~ 0.5kg up to 2 kg same shipping price.

https://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/a86ce788

14. reiki

reiki New Member

Thanks for the indiegogo-link. I´m interested in the early bird black glossy variant. Please inform me if the campaign is started.

15. weemo

weemo Member

This is great news!! and I am ready to pitch in!!! Do you have to meet the goal in order to supply customers? and what if the goal is not met? I am really interested. I have had the udoo roaming around the house with no use cuz I hate using it without a case.

Thx

16. kindiss

kindiss Member

No i don't need meet the goal i will supply customers anyway. For early bird cases i already have all parts. Because i took flexible funding, If goal is not met i will pay bigger indiegogo charges - 9%. I decided to start indiegogo campaign to see how many people would be interested in this project. Will this project succeed or fail.

17. pth3k

pth3k New Member

I'm in for two cases! :)
    Let me know when you are ready.

Ty

18. flighhyer

flighhyer New Member

I'll take one too! Great work!!!

19. allwet

allwet New Member

I'm ready for two cases for my quads with the hard drive extension. I like the matte black versions, but glossy will also work. Do I need to wait until you get the Indiegogo fully set up to order two units? These will be shipping to the USA. Payment method? Let me know when and details, please. You can PM me. Thanks.

20. kindiss

kindiss Member

Yes you need wait until Indiegogo will be fully set up. I think it will take few days. I will start manufacturing process when get first orders. Payment method will be PayPal or Credit Card. Up to 2 kg same shipping price.