RT or low latency kernel (was: Jack audio server on Udoo)

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by alexandros301, Jun 4, 2014.

1. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

I just installed the Jack audio server to give it a shot with Pure Data. In /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf (a file jack created while being installed), there the following lines:
    Code:
    @audio   -  rtprio     95
    @audio   -  memlock    unlimited
    But if I run jack with this command
    Code:
    /usr/bin/jackd -d alsa
    (to use it with the ALSA backend) I get this error:
    Code:
    Cannot lock down 82274202 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
    Udoo's got 1Giga of memory, right? so, I guess I should change the line '@audio - memlock unlimited' to some number Udoo can handle, or am I getting something wrong? If not, what number should I type in there?

2. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

Re: RT or low latency kernel (was: Jack audio server on Udoo

I've changed the thread's subject cause I experimented with ALSA and got satisfactory results, so I don't really need Jack (for now, at least).
    In Pure Data, I've set a 48kHz sampling rate, with 128 block size and 30ms delay, with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 sound card (it's class compliant) and let a patch play for about 20 minutes and didn't get any drop outs (I'm using the Debian Wheezy image from Udoo's website). If I set the delay or block size to smaller numbers then I do get drop outs, so now my question is, do I need to get a real time or a low latency kernel? Will I get better performance with suck a kernel? And if so, how do I install one?
    I'm checking wiki pages with how to guides, but if there's someone here that has already done something like that already, it would be nice to get some advice.

3. lokki

lokki New Member

you should check the puredata mailing list. there was some discussion about latency (and means to reduce it) on udoo.

cheers

4. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

Did that already, thanks. There's still room for tweaking though.

5. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Tip of the day: discovered that connecting a USB audio device on the auxiliary USB connector gives better results with JackD. Connecting to other ports results in jack to fail sometimes.