Help a newbie decide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hajj, May 13, 2014.

1. Hajj

Hajj New Member

Hello,
    I am about to pull the trigger and buy a UDOO quad as it seems to be the right hardware for the application I have in mind, but would first like the experts to weigh in.
    I plan on using the UDOO as a lightweight HTPC, running XBMC (or equivalent) for HD movies over HDMI and Volumio or Rune audio for high quality audio over an external S/PDIF DAC.
    First of all, will Udoo be able to play both these roles?
    Second, as I understand XBMC, volumio and Rune Audio each run their own OS, will it be possible to have all these OS's installed and toggle between them during the boot sequence?
    Thanks!

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Hi Hajj, of course! UDOO is perfectly capable to be your HTPC. XBMC and Volumio run HD movies very smoothly.

You can also create multiple partitions in a microSD with XBMC, Volumio and Rune installed. Then you can select your desired partitions using the environment variables.

Hope this can help.

3. Layums

Layums New Member

Hi. Interested in hearing how one creats multiple partitions on a card. I want xbmc and volumio.

4. salouma

salouma Member

To me there is a lack of support of xbmc on the udoo platform

Stefan Rafin did excellent work for xbmc but it still not perfect.

I would like official support from the official tram but if still not here...

5. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

6. salouma

salouma Member

Delba, please don't claim that XBMC distro are stable beacause they are not.

The Isronga versions didn't recive any update since december 2013 (and is based on a previous version of XBMC). The developpement is abandoned in his topic he said "follow stephan for update"

So concerning stephan distro, he did a clearly nice job but he is not working on specific developpement for UDOO, he is working on porting XBMC in IMX6 platforms.
    Several issue need to be resolved :

- No update on the last stable image of XBMC
    - When you have a mouse connected at startup the XBMC display is not working
    - We have important video playback problem, see GunterO response here (xbmc-release-t518-90.html)
    - We have some interface freeze and crashes, look at this post (and i have the same issue) post9218.html#p9218
    - Many of us want to run XBMC over a linux distribution (debian or Ubuntu) , there is a tutorial to compile XBMC and Debian but i contacted some other user, we tried and we failed so we just asking someone provide us the image of this distribution.

To make things clear UDOO is a great hardware with a clear and large potential.
    BUT clearly for XBMC it is a wrong choice, there is no real support of XBMC in this plateform, you don't even have XBMC in your official distribution list !

I had better performance with my Rpi than udoo this is clearly not normal.

So please don't say that XBMC is wonderfully working on UDOO because it's not !

7. maurizio

maurizio Administrator

salouma, you are right, for this when we'll finish the work related to UDOOBuntu (scheduled RC release next week) we'll take care of XBMC, providing you with a stable and well performing distro.

8. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

+1