Android Kernel Update

Discussion in 'Android' started by colm.mulvey, Jun 23, 2014.

1. colm.mulvey

colm.mulvey New Member

Hi all,

Has anyone updated the kernel from the 3.0.23 that arrives with Android 4.2.2 to a later version? I'm looking for a kernel that is at least 3.2.0, but would prefer a kernel circa 3.9.

How could we approach building a more recent kernel for UDOO? Is there any support for this?

Or, is there a plan to roll one out through the existing SW update schedule?

Kind regards,

Colm

2. gfasino

gfasino New Member

Hi Colm,
    Android 4.2 (stock version) should be with Linux 3.2.
    If you want got an updated kernel you can:
    - Use an newest android version like Android KitKat (it use Linux 3.4), so you have to build a newer version of android for Udoo
    - Recompile a 3.9 version of kernel (or any you want use, i suggest 3.8 or 3.10 even number are the stable relase odd number are the develop relese)

Giovanni

3. colm.mulvey

colm.mulvey New Member

THanks Giovanni,

My UDOO is reporting 3.0.23. I guess this is the UDOO standard right now, can you explain your comment on Linux (kernel) 3.2 ? I could patch 3.2 if I had the sources.

I have build many kernels for Linux, but with SBCs like UDOO, matching the kernel configuration to the hardware is not a simple task. I could take the configuration for the 3.0.23 sources that are available, and try to expand that to a 3.10 source-tree from kernel.org.... but is that the simplest way to approach it?

Is there a config file for later kernels available inside the UDOO team?

4. gfasino

gfasino New Member

Hi Colm,
    When Android 4.2 was released from Google had Linux 3.2, so it means when the UDOO Team made the Android build they have used the 3.0 version (i don't know why, maybe for use the same kernel of Ubuntu or Debian).

For the rebuilding of kernel i've found this link in the download section of the UDOO website, i think it can be useful for recompiling kernel.
    http://udoo.org/download/files/UDOO_Uni ... les.tar.gz