OpenElec on Udoo?

Discussion in 'XBMC' started by Viper780, May 5, 2014.

1. Viper780

Viper780 New Member

Hi everyone

Is there any plans to work together with the OpenElec team?
    They released the first working xbmc for the raspberry Pi and have also an (good) working CuBox development running (see http://openelec.tv/forum/120-news-annou ... 0-released https://imx.solid-run.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7 http://snapshots.openelec.tv/ http://openelec.tv/forum/125-solidrun-cubox-i for just a few links i found).

I'm reading Stephan Rafins blog and he is doing an amazing job, but there isn't any work for over two months and he is shifting away from the Udoo to an more general i.MX6 development (for many good reasons). Are there any other developers or someone from the Udoo core team (seco and aidilab) who are putting here more effort in it?

An good working Mediacenter support is right now one of the most important things for such single board computers over 60USD. With the flood of such devices its a bit of an sink or swim situation.

2. alexisj

alexisj New Member

+1

Finally i use my Raspberry Pi instead my quad core UDOO again with XBMC because of this lack of stability on Udoo :-/

Not enough support for Udoo, not enough good rom, not enough help on forum, not enough wiki, blog, tutorial...
    Not very fun for users who are not developpers but just "adventurous" users :(

3. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

@Viper780 Thank you for your post, I also +1 you, let's spam their forum with udoo support :)

@alexisj don't see the glass half empty but half full. We are make of our destiny :eek: and therefore we could make this append, we speak about free software after all :)

4. salouma

salouma Member

Totally agree with alexisJ.

There is a clear lack for support about XBMC and most of the OS are not very stable.

I think with UDOObuntu something good is happening but still don't reach the great OS i wanted.

It's very sad because an important part of the job is done by stefan rafin, a good and stable XBMC distribution could be reached i think.

The hardware is very very nice with a lot a possibility but i'm disapointed that we don't have a good distribution of XBMC especially when i see other platform like Cuebox that already made it.

5. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

OK, I will wait my board before replying everything could be done (oups)
    good evening :)

6. salouma

salouma Member

If you have any success please share with us.

You can also share problems maybe we can help even if i'm not a developper.

7. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

I think I can tell it's a success with XBMC : http://www.udoo.org/forum/xbmc-release-t518-90.html#p9021

About Openelec, as chewitt told me to do (http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation/69706-image-for-freescale-arm-i-mx6-like-on-udoo#110660), I'll try the current Cubox image this week-end to see if it works.

I'll come back here to give feedback ;)

8. Viper780

Viper780 New Member

Hi everyone

thx for bringing this up again. I've tested the Udoo a bit and tried some stuff, but i'm no developer or programmer so I can do only basic stuff. The whole community is shifting away from the Udoo thats a bit sad, so i guess the 100USD i spent on it are gone. MAybe the Arduino part of it is a bit more of use.

9. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

10. salouma

salouma Member

Totally agree,

Is someone in the UDOO team reading us ???

Should we buy a Cubox to get XBMC support?

11. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Guys, we are in close contact with Stephan, and the XBMC image you can download is made by him. Anyway, since I do agree with you guys that XBMC is such a killer application, when we'll finish the work related to UDOOBuntu (scheduled RC release next week) we'll take care of XBMC, providing you with a stable and well performing distro.
    Then my 2 cents: UDOO platform is relatively young, we are talking about a board which is out from 8 months so far. Little by little we are taking care of the immense workload that launching such a platform is all about. UDOO requires an higher committment, since we are supporting Arduino compatible stuff, Linux (with 4+ distros) and Android. So, I really encourage you guys to continue to point our work to what you feel are the highest priorities, and to post what you discover and what you made with UDOO. This way we can fix, improve and innovate an environment we all care about.
    So, to start with:
    what are the bugs and instability issues you are experiencing with XBMC? What are the things you think need to be addressed or improved?
    Let's use this thread as a development diary like we are doing with UDOOBuntu. We'll keep you updated asap

12. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

Hi mikelangeloz,

That's a positive answer !
    I'll retry this week-end the last version of the image made by Stephan and will give my user feedback here.

Have a nice day @all

13. salouma

salouma Member

Good to hear that XBMC is going to be supported,

What is the version of the latest image from stefan ? I'm ready to test. I think i use 0.0.6 but i have problem with video display, i have some lag in the display.

I also wanted to use XBMC over a linux distribution like Debian or Ubuntu to make NAS fonction and XBMC in the same OS.

14. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

Here is my feedback of udooq_yocto_v0.0.6.img on udoo quad

Boot time : 38 s
    1st message : Network-Manager : "Add-on is incompatible due to unmet dependencies. Would you like to disable it on your system?"
    CPU usage at idle : ~2%, quad core seen. Free memory : 787MB, 106°F

Interface is responsive, ssh open, mouse scroll doesn't work
    NTFS formatted fast usb key automount works
    Viewing a 1080p mkv file is pretty but not perfect, either from USB and from NAS with upnp (gigabit network). I can watch the same movie on the same usb key on my TV without this "issue".
    stats while playing (from top command) : load average 0.40 , process xbmc.bin take 25% CPU
    Temperature after 10 min playing : 124°F

Every 4-5 movies, interface freeze, xbmc.bin crash.
    Music is not stable either, sometimes it's necessary to restart the system to continue listening...

15. ktateishi

ktateishi New Member

That is great news that XBMC will be supported. It is the killer app which allows a UDOO to be used as a very capable fan-less HTPC.

I've been using Stephen Raffin's v0.0.6 XBMC image on a udoo quad installed inside the case from an old NAD CD player connected to a NAS via powerline ethernet.

I've found the following:
    1. Running with the file system on a SSD is much more stable. I don't have the issues with the application freezing as I did when running on the memory card.
    2. Flac audio files play perfectly and audio output through a USB DAC (using a Fiio e10) is supported automatically.
    3. Most of the 1080p mkv files I have run across play perfectly. For the remainder I would get lagging and frame drops, I found that If i ran the file through the free DivX Converter app set at 1080p and created a new version of the file it would have a larger file size and play fine. I suspect that some of the newest DivX CODECs aren't supported.
    4. A 4k video would not play (tried it on a 1080p monitor) video was a downloaded copy of the National - Graceless music video from youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpz_gUyImhw
    5. The available Youtube and Itunes podcast add-ons work well. Many of the other add-ons aren't functional.
    6. I would really love to be able to run Netflix via XBMC on the UDOO. (I understand there are workaround for other XBMC platforms to allow this)
    7. The Canadian timezone settings don't work. The US timezones work fine.

16. snickers2k

snickers2k New Member

oh shit... just got my udoo and now i'm reading this ...

when will the official XBMC version arrive ?

now i can put it to the side... :(

17. salouma

salouma Member

Hello,

Now UDOObuntu stable has been released,

have you started XBMC developement ? Do we have a bugtracker / topic to test images and see what is not working ?

Best regards

18. steve15182

steve15182 New Member

+1

19. abektes

abektes New Member

Hello,

Today i tested the latest distro 0.06 yocto with my Udoo. I discovered that the overall video performance is around 46 fps after 1:30 hour while playing video from Youtube. The core temperature is around 113-115 F. To be honest, it is not a bad performance :)

As many of them experienced, I could not make any add-ons run at this device. Here are some messages from some add-ons that might be helpful.

- URLResolver has a problem.
    - PFTV is missing on your system.

Functionality of hardware exists with Software. I think that creating a stable media player will increase the sales of this board which will create an indirect increasing in the community. I can imagine that many people will have two sd card, using it as a media and also using the same hardware.

I know many friends who bought Raspberry Pi for just media player and they started to program because of availability of hardware. Follow people :)

20. salouma

salouma Member