Compatible Fans

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bynarie, Jun 16, 2014.

1. bynarie

bynarie New Member

Seriously folks i am extremely new to udoo and microcontrollers and such. Basically I dont understand what type of fan I could buy to just plug straight into the j4 connector. If anyone could give me some basics on what im looking for or a direct link to a fan that i could just plug and use without doing any modding or whatnot. I appreciate the help. Thanks

2. extream96

extream96 New Member

if you want use a normal fan for a computer, you must control the voltage and ampere required by the fan, because if you use a fan with too much ampere the UDOO reboot continuously, because the UDOO ac power doesn't support much power. if you want you can try to attach a usb fan to usb port, maximum 0,5 ampere.
    I think that a fan with maximum 0.5 ampere and 5 volts is sufficient, However the fan is not important for the temperature of UDOO, if you don't use very complex program.

3. fetcher

fetcher Member

J4 supplies +5V power, so any fan you attach there must be built for that voltage rather than the more common +12V, and must also draw very little current-- maybe 20-30mA at most-- since the switched negative pin has a 47-ohm resistor in series, and the FET that toggles that on/off (BSS138) probably adds a further Rds_on resistance of at least 10 more ohms, since its gate is being driven by only a 3.3V signal. A more power-hungry 5V fan shouldn't damage anything, but would cause too much voltage drop to spin up reliably. I don't know of any meeting this criterion, or that come with the right connector already wired correctly.

I had thought about using J4 for a non-fan switched load, until checking the schematic and realizing how little current it can supply due to high resistances in the negative line. The +5V on pin 1 should be good for 0.5-1A, though, if an unswitched ground elsewhere is used for the return path.

I hope to avoid using a fan at all, appreciating the Udoo's complete silence, and so far haven't had any heat troubles. It does help that I haven't used the GPU for much at all, and use an open-frame case with plenty of ventilation (though an Arduino prototyping shield covers most of the heatsink...)

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp will give the current CPU temperature in degrees Celsius, btw.

4. Tatsuya

Tatsuya New Member

Well we ( me and extream96) used udoo quad and we can say that if u dont open for example lots of pages of chrome and arduino sketches it doesnt heat that much. Even if u stress the cpu it doesnt go on levels where u need a fan , the passive dissipator is enough.