My UDOO quad is ridiculously slow

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by X_Zero, Feb 14, 2014.

1. X_Zero

X_Zero New Member

My UDOO quad is ridiculously slow are they all this sluggish? I have yet to find a method to get youtube or pandora to work. I know that there is no flash capability with ARM. I have a hard time loading web pages except in midori. Also takes extremely long to upload code to the atmel.

2. jedik

jedik New Member

What is Your micro sd card class? Should be at last 10

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Try to reflash your microSD (and yes, it should be at least a class 10) with a different flavour (debian arm HF rocks): http://www.udoo.org/downloads/
    The upload from the IDE is quite slow, it's a known issue that we hope to solve in the next few weeks.

4. ChrisG

ChrisG New Member

I experience same issue. Udoo (Linaro 12.04 v2.1) is again terribly slow. Now my question is if a Class 10 card resolves this where to get Max 8Gb SD cards in this class. Or is it an option to just take a class 10 16Gb and that will work too then?

5. andcmp

andcmp New Member

You can get a 16GB microSd card, don't worry. Image the microSD with the image of your choice, boot, run gparted (apt-get install gparted first) and resize the partition, to use the rest of the card.

6. rodriquez1984

rodriquez1984 New Member

Hi to All,

I just received the udoo quad board and I am very exicted to use it. However I encountered a slow performance issue. Boot is very slow about 3minutes and even when accessing software. I also cannot play any video on youtube! It keeps showing black srceen window. I flashed both ubuntu and android, android even worse!! :cry:

Can anyone suggest some tips or guide me how to improve the performance? Bdw, my uSD is PQI Class10 so it should be much faster than the one that may be shipped with pre-installed os, i think it is class 4! :shock:

7. delba

8. rodriquez1984

rodriquez1984 New Member

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.
    Just to be that I am in the right track, is this one you are suggesting?udoo_quad_debian_wheezy_armhf_v1.0beta.zip

I try to flash it this week and will let you know for sure.

Thanks again

9. delba

Yep. Keep me updated :)

10. rodriquez1984

rodriquez1984 New Member

I tried the Debian armHF image and I can say that the performance relatively improved but still slow for a quad core.

An issues that I encountered in a few minutes that I used the OS was, that there was no sound coming out of the HDMI

I am sure that by time, this tiny pc board will surprise us with its capabilities, thanks to all Udoo Team

Keep the good work... :)

11. mkopack

mkopack Member

Keep in mind this is an ARM quad core, not an x86 Intel quad core. VERY much apples and oranges comparison... You're not going to get anywhere near the same level of performance as you see on something like a Core i7 quad...

That being said, you shouldn't be seeing THAT slow. One way to get a big performance improvement is set things up with a SATA drive (MUCH MUCH faster IO performance vs even a class 10 mSD). You'll still need the SD to initiate the boot, but then everything from there on will be off the SATA and it'll be markedly faster.

Also, all SD cards are NOT the same (even if listed in the same class). I just looked up specs on 2 different micro SD 32GB cards... One showed read/write performance of 14MBps, another (Sony) listed "Up to 40Mbps"....

12. peter247

peter247 New Member

I`ve read a benchmarking review about I think the cubieboard , and the reviewer was saying that the performance wasn`t up to a typical P.C of 6 years ago , Which my thought was I could not remember 6 year ago running every think but the screen for around 6 hours on a single cell 2 AH battery.
    These days with the price of energy it is not the performance to the pound / buck of the chip, but it is the performance to the pound / buck of electricity.
    I tried to the measure the difference between a Lcheapo class 10 and a samsung hcI 80 mbps card, I could not find any , but like all the post I've read you do on a class 4.

Sata rules !!!

13. X_Zero

X_Zero New Member

Yes, I do have a class 10 SD card, I'll try Debian hopefully that helps. It is unbearably slow though. Very disappointing for the quad. Anyone have any methods to play Youtube videos or use Pandora?

14. X_Zero

X_Zero New Member

Yes, the Debian install did give a slight performance boost but my quad is still very sluggish even compared to the udoos I've seen in YouTube videos.

15. delba

16. Tatsuya

Tatsuya New Member

17. HemeDroid

HemeDroid New Member

Hi

This doesn't work for me. I'm using the latest Udoobuntu version and youtube just shows the "An error occured" message whenever I try to play anything on the youtube site.

Has anyone else seen this? I'm guessing something got broken in the last version.

18. reiki

reiki New Member

I can confirm this.

19. Zeus

Zeus New Member

I am having the same issue.. Does anyone have a resolution to this??