how to create quadcopter with Udoo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eros23, Jul 26, 2014.

1. eros23

eros23 New Member

It would be very interesting to create a quadricopter with udoo. Never mind the weight, I think it would be interesting to have a flight system with linux. You can do many things with udoo. Unfortunately I do not have the knowledge for it.

But if this page is viewed many times it may be that some developers will be able to charge for a similar project.

;)

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

I build and fly quadricopter / hexacopters and the udoo would not be my first choice .
    Why because of the first rule , keep the weight and power consumption down to the bare minimum, But when a good sized 650mm hexacopter is about 2 kg and using over 60 amps on a 2 cell li-po to get if the ground a few more grams would not be that much of the killer.
    I`m just not sure how much I would trust the flight controller running any operating system like Linux.
    I`ve learnt the hard way be very very careful with quadricopter , I had my commercial naza flight controller go loopy and dropped on the next door house making a big hole in the roof , which cost me to put right.

I think they are projects for the raspberry pi , look at them .

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

It's certainly doable... A couple caveats though:

1) weight and size are big issues with quads. The more weight you have to carry for boards like the Udoo, the bigger your quad needs to be... And remember, you need more than just the udoo by itself - you need sensors, motor drivers, etc.

2) The linux side is really only good for doing the higher level tasks like route planning, or maybe some OpenCV on the video - you do NOT want it doing the low level flight controls. With Linux not being a RTOS (real time OS), and thus not having tight exact timings, you will have all kinds of issues with stability. That's where the Arduino side comes in.

So, it's doable, but you really have to have the right copter design and size to support it, and the mission and sensors to dictate the need for the Linux side being there. Otherwise one has to wonder why you'd need anything beyond the Arduino and sensors tied straight to it.