[OS X 10.10 Yosemite] USB to UART driver doesn't work

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ftollenaar, Jul 27, 2014.

1. ftollenaar

ftollenaar New Member

Hello,

I've recently upgraded to OS X 10.10 Yosemite, but the USB-UART driver doesn't seem to work (at least, I can't get the arduino serial to show up in /dev/**). Any ideas how to troubleshoot this/how to debug?

Warm regards,

Fabian

2. extream96

extream96 New Member

Hi,
    I have Mavericks and it works, have you installed the driver correctly?

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Well Yosemite is just in beta, i guess it's normal to have issue like that during the first couple of months.

4. ftollenaar

ftollenaar New Member

@extream96 - things worked fine on Mavericks, the problem is only on Yosemite. Driver is installed, and tried reinstalling multiple times.
    @delba - that's not really an answer... UDOO is aimed at devs and makers who are exactly the people to upgrade early (to test apps, for instance). And having paid quite a bit more than the current price as a Kickstarter funder I would have expected a bit more support than this.

5. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

ftollenaar we didn't upgrade the OSX to Yosemite so i cannot help you right now. I'm gonna do it asap.

6. fosuco

fosuco New Member

It seems the OS X serial port driver isn't signed correctly. From Apple's Yosemite DP5 release notes:

I was able to connect via serial port after issuing this command from the terminal and then rebooting:
    Code:
    sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

7. jo-wi

jo-wi New Member

Hi everybody,

My new UDOO doesn't show anything on HDMI using two different monitors (HP 1920 x 1200 and Dell 1280 x 1024), so I tried the troubleshooting procedure using the serial port. I'm on MacOS X 10.9.5, the SiLabsUSBDriver64 is listed as loaded, and I see /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART when I list the /dev folder. I see the SLAB_USBtoUART port in Serial Tools. Still, there is no log coming in from the UDOO using the Serial Tools as advised in the troubleshooting procedure. The green LED is on

Am I missing something (i.e. something I still need to install to get the serial connection to work), or do I have a D.O.A. UDOO?