External Arduino

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by vincern, Aug 2, 2014.

1. vincern

vincern New Member

Searching the forums I found some discussion of this from last year, but I am asking here in hopes that the answer has changed.

Could I use an UDOO Quad to connect to, and upload sketches to, the various Arduino boards I already have, or is it limited to only the built in Due as the posts from last year seem to indicate?

Thanks

2. extream96

extream96 New Member

Hi,
    I can't try it because now i don't have udoo, but if in the ide you can change the port and the device i think that it works!
    If you have an arduino for test it, you can try it!

3. osimons

osimons New Member

You cannot use the Udoo patched version of Arduino software as it contains some minor bossac patches, and additionally all other port and board references are stripped from this package. It is tuned for use with the internal Due and best kept as-is.

I've installed a separate Arduino IDE from package repositories. Or you can download and install Arduino IDE from source locally. Both quite easy to accomplish and no doubt you can find references to how to do either.

When it comes to ports, I found that the Udoo kernel comes with FTDI support included (ftdi_sio module) so '/dev/ttyUSB0' show up automatically. However, '/dev/ttyACM0' port does not as the stock kernel does not include the cdc_acm module. You will need to compile the kernel and enable this module for such boards to work (typically Uno ++).

Would be nice if cdc_acm was enabled in all kernel configurations.

4. emrebektas

emrebektas New Member

Yes you can connect external arduino such as arduino uno and you can upload skecht with "/dev/ttyACM0" port. Important point is that you have to install Arduıno 1.0 ide from software center. This software is much more stable than udoo's arduino software. There is not String variable problem and it is faster but you can not use arduino due on udoo with arduino 1.0 ide.