Need an RTOS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shashikumar p, Aug 12, 2014.

1. shashikumar p

shashikumar p New Member

Hello,
    I am working on a robotic project .as i am looking forward to use my udoo dual as my RT (real-time)target, i need to know which operating system can work as Real-Time Operating System(RTOS) and is best supported by udoo dual.. Please do respond if there is any RTOS available for udoo dual or quad,.
    Thank you

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Ok, let me ask this - is it essential that the linux side be RTOS? Or can you use the linux side for the higher level planning type stuff and rely upon the arduino side to provide the more real-time low-level reactionary and sensor gathering/motor control stuff? The latter approach is how most people tend to attack the problem since RTOS can be a bit of a pain...

3. shashikumar p

shashikumar p New Member

I didnt understand ' use linux for higher level planning stuff and rely upon the arduino side '

4. shashikumar p

shashikumar p New Member

To be more specific, my intention is to use my udoo as RT target and my laptop as the host computer.. And that s why i am looking for a stable RTOS .. U can just provide me few examples of opensource RTOS, tat are supported by udoo.. First i'll try using this way later if i face any problem with linux side RTOS then i'll try using the arduino side.. So plz suggest me some RTOSs

5. fetcher

fetcher Member

NuttX (www.nuttx.org) will run on the SAM3X/Arduino side of an Udoo (using the "Arduino Due" build target), though it's a bit of work getting a cross-compiler environment set up, and patching around some minor issues in the NuttX source. The nice thing about this particular RTOS is that you can save resources by removing all unnecessary features, at a fine level of granularity. For instance, there's not much reason to build in an IP stack, or SD card support since the Due/Udoo-SAM3X-side lacks any suitable interfaces.

On the i.MX6 side, if you're willing to consider commercial software, the RTOS "QNX" does support other Freescale i.MX6 boards such as Boundary Devices' Nitrogen6X. I'd expect it could be made to work on the Udoo without too much trouble, though you'd almost certainly lose support for certain features not implemented on the i.MX6 CPU itself (like the VT1613 analog audio).

6. Flygbussarna

Flygbussarna New Member

Did you actually find a RTOS already or did you try QNX?
    And if you did try QNX: did it work?
    I'm looking for an RTOS for the UDOO aswel for another project.

Kind regards,
    Joeri

7. fosuco

fosuco New Member