3 simple Arduino programming questions !

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Jp100, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

Hi,

Q 1. I read I could program the Arduino from Linux running on my x86 instead of using a Serial Connection ( can't find USB cable on amazon ... DOH ! ) ? Does this work ? Is it possible running Windows locally to build a sketch and upload it from LOCAL Win Instance ?

Q 2 . I have a dual boot Win / Linux x86 . If a upload a sketch locally in Linux and reboot in Windows will it run when I boot in Windows ? How do I get it to run ?

Q 3. If I upload a sketch what are the steps to deleting it ? Is there a command line where I can lst and view sketches delete sketches rename etc ?

* Just some basic questions --

Thanks in Advance !

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You have to see the Udoo X86 as a PC allways connected by USB with the onboard independent Arduino 101 (curie). They practically only share USB and power.
    The Arduino sketch is compiled by the Arduino IDE (on Linux or Windows) and uploaded as a binary to the Arduino. There is only 1 compiled sketch in the Arduino (the last uploaded one).
    So to answer your questions:
    1. You can program/write/edit, compile and upload the arduino sketch from windows and linux.
    2. The Arduino part will start running the last compiled and uploaded sketch after a reboot of the Udoo X86. It does not matter were it comes from and it does not matter on what OS the Udoo is running.
    3. To delete a sketch compile and upload the blank (example) sketch. Or upload another one, it will overwrite the one in memory. As there is only one sketch in memory of the Arduino 101 there is no need of listing, deleting renaming programs etc.

But I would advise you to create a shared disk/folder that is accessible from Linux and Windows where you store your sketches (text) if you want to edit those sketches from both OS's.

3. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

Ready to code now ! I had no idea about #3 !

Thanks !