3rd Party LVDS

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by terraceaudio, May 14, 2014.

1. terraceaudio

terraceaudio New Member

I assume it is possible to buy a 3rd party LCD, and use it, so I'm just wondering... Do I just need a cable to convert to the header on the board? Do I need a specific LCD that will work with the LVDS driver on the UDOO? Or do I need an LCD with it's own driver to plug into the UDOO?

All I can find online are just the LCD, or LCD and Driver boards geared towards Arduino etc that have the included board doing all the heavy lifting because Arduinos can't handle it. Even the name of the header, sizing, and protocol would at least give me a place to start looking, which is why I was a little mystified to not see this info in the section dedicated to screens on udoo.org.

Cheers

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

3. terraceaudio

terraceaudio New Member

Thanks!

That has most of the information I need. I notice that in there it details the pinout of the LCD with 40 pins. I didn't see anywhere the information regarding what is between the LCD 40 pin connection and the UDOO LVDS header.

Basically, I already have a 40 pin LVDS LCD, and I am trying to figure out what the cable (or board) is called to convert so that it can plug into the UDOO. If I just missed it, sorry!

4. peter247

peter247 New Member

5. terraceaudio

terraceaudio New Member

Yeah I came to the same conclusion,

I just wish they would give more information as to what "UDOO_VK-15 Video cable for UDOO" was... Or sell it individually...

I don't have the luxury of being able to walk in to an electronics store to see if it's the right sized header where I live. Oh well.

Thanks for your quick and informative answers.

6. disneysw

disneysw New Member

The UDOO exposes a 3.3V single channel via the LVDS connector.

Single channel LVDS is limited to 1366x768 and panels larger than 15" require 5V or higher voltages.

You also need to check the panel back light. LED panels normally have 5V or 12V drives (nothing to do with the LVDS voltages). The back light drive power is normally modulated using PWM to set the brightness level but you can wire it direct to a DC source if you don't need that feature.

Older back lights used CCD (florescent tube) and require an inverter to generate a few hundred voltages to power them. Typically the inverter has an I2C interface to set the brightness level.

graugans likes this.