A few questions about Udoo quadcore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jouniv, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Jouniv

Jouniv New Member

So I'm planning on buying this udoo quadcore board if it suits my needs. I have a few questions about the board. I have cubieboard 2 atm but it lacks gigabit ethernet and is only dualcore and hangs often...

1. How stable are those ready made images? I plan on using Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Can I expect it to run 20+ days easily?

2. How fast is that gigabit ethernet on this device? Has anyone tried with ftp/samba for example how fast it's possible to move data over network?

3. How fast is the Sata port on this device? Any ideas about typical transfer speeds for normal HDD?

4. Do I have to use some tricks to use the VPU for 1080p video decoding? Or can I just download VLC etc. and have it work out of box? Any ideas about 10bit support of the VPU?(this isn't the most important thing but a big plus). With cubie you have to use command line and no osd for videos... so no subtitle support and I'd prefer gui program to watch videos.

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jouniv,

1- well we just released a very stable, fast and user friendly distro lubuntu based. It's called UDOObuntu and it's our official OS. Check it out: http://www.udoo.org/udoobuntu-beta-2/

2- Based on our tests: 700 Mb/s

3- It's the normal SATA speed, we never did any test about that.

4- You cannot use VLC you need to use Gstreamer. The actual situation is the same as cubie but we're planning to release, in the next version of UDOObuntu, a GUI movie player.

3. Jouniv

Jouniv New Member

Wow thanks for the fast reply! gigEthernet speed seems good. Looking forward to that next release then. BTW are those versions upgradeable via the normal sudo apt-get upgrade or just reflash the sd card?

4. peter247

peter247 New Member

HOWs that possible ?

it`s almost impossible to get 700 Mb/s between two super fast i7 cpus.

Why !!!!

Isn`t the udoo gigabit Ethernet limited to 480Mb/s due to using only 1 lane of the pci bus ? , I think it says about that somewhere in the imx6 docs, also the imx6 can`t use jumbo frames which is a limiting factor too.

So with a ssd , using samba I`m getting 35MB/s REAL WORLD !!!!!
    I will have to try it without my gigabit switch , direct and see it it`s faster or not.