About monitor resolution

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Alexander Chang, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Alexander Chang

Alexander Chang New Member

Anyone uses a 2K monitor on UDOO X86? What's the refreshing rate at 2K?
    And....anyone tried 4K monitor for UDOO X86(it runs in 30fps I think)? Is it ok for web browsing and office works under 4K30fps?

2. Sjonno

Sjonno New Member

I have a 4K monitor attached with displayport. It works on both Linux (Ubuntu 17.04) and Android X86 at full resolution.
    On Linux i haven't been able to install the right drivers. The Intel Graphics driver installer tool only works for Ubuntu 16.04 (the version Udoo advices to install).
    Playing 4K video on youtube stutters a lot. I`m trying to figure out how to fix this. Also going to try to hook the board up to my 1080p tv over HDMI to see how that performs.
    I have the Advanced plus version by the way. I assumed that because Udoo team is able to use three 4K screens at the same time (using Ultra version i assume), the advanced version has to be able to play at least one 4K video smoothly...
    Don't know if it runs on 30 or 60fps. Didn't find where I can see this yet. Only received my board yesterday :)
    Edit: runs on 30 fps in Android. (Had to reboot because the app I installed to check this, changed screen orientation to portrait...)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Alexander Chang likes this.
  3. Sjonno

Sjonno New Member

Update: installed Ubuntu 16.04 so I am sure Intel HD Graphics driver are in place.
    I allowed GPU to use max amount of mem in bios (512mb).
    In both Ubuntu and Android the GPU doesn't seem to be used. When i play a video in Youtube, the cpu gets used a lot and gets really hot.
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to see CPU/GPU info and video at the same time in Android 6.0 because multitasking is not supported.
    I used VLC in Android. Kodi kept crashing at startup, directly after install...
    Edit: To install Kodi in Android use a x86 version. The version from the Play Store will probably fail. I used Kodi 17.1 X86 that I got from apkmirror website...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  4. Alexander Chang

Alexander Chang New Member

Thanks for sharing. I'm considering to buy a new monitor, maybe a 4K or 2K one. If it shutters even during web browsing and office works under 4K@30fps, I'll go for a 2K monitor.
    I believe it's 30fps when you run 4k which may be associated with the max power of Intel Graphic 400. I looked it up in the Intel document but just couldn't find the supported refreshing rate in 2K.
    I've installed win10 on my 128G SSD. It runs smoothly under FHD. For the next step, I'm going to install Ubuntu but I'm still a beginner of this.
    I think this board would be perfect if equipped with the newest gen intel CPU which supports 4K@60fps. sigh.....

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

5. Laura

Laura UDOOer

6. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

Nope, 30fps is unbearable for desktop work unfortunately.

7. paul cowen

paul cowen New Member

what about 3840 x 1080 Resolution? would it work on the Samsung 49" gaming monitor at 60Hz?

8. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Try h264ify if YouTube videos stutter, take up too much CPU, eat battery life, or make your laptop hot.

By default, YouTube streams VP8/VP9 encoded video. However, this can cause problems with less powerful machines because VP8/VP9 is not typically hardware accelerated.

In contrast, H.264 is commonly hardware accelerated by GPUs, which usually means smoother video playback and reduced CPU usage. h264ify makes YouTube stream H.264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 videos.

Github: https://github.com/erkserkserks/h264ify