Access Neo from internet (Weaved support)

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Vinz87, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Vinz87

Vinz87 UDOOer

Hi, I came through this service called Weaved, available for a number of embedded platforms like Raspberry Pi.
    Running their software on the board the user is able to log into the machine from the internet, providing these services:
    • SSH on port 22
    • Web (http) on port 80
    • WebIOPI on port 8000 (Raspberry Pi only)
    • VNC on port 5901
    • Custom TCP service on any port you like

They even offer an iOS app to log into the board, or to receive push notifications from it!

What about UDOO Neo compatibility? It would be possible to get in contact with their developers to reach an agreement for a compatible version release? Or perhaps is it just a matter of porting some libraries? Or maybe there's a chance that some version built for other platforms will work?

Anyway, the possibility to interact remotely with UDOO Neo would be really interesting; if for some reason this software can't be ported, do you know of some alternative method to do this, for example just for SSH from another machine on the Internet?

2. mdoan7

mdoan7 New Member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  3. Vinz87

Vinz87 UDOOer

I will try to install it, thank you.
    Anyway, for complete noobs as me I would like to say that I have been able to set port 22 (SSH) forwarding on my home router pointing to the local address of Neo, and now I'm able to ssh into Neo from the internet with the command:
    ssh udooer@<router_public_IP>
    Perhaps this particular step can be added also into the Neo docs, for people like me who don't know much of these things and are not aware that SSH access can also be done from outside local network.
    So, Weaved service provides some nice additional feature, but for a simple SSH access you don't need to install anything :)

4. sambrin

sambrin New Member

Just use the instruction to install weaved on beaglebone black. The instruction on weaved website.

Now I can access my neo from internet using VNC on port 5900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

I would be very cautious if plan to expose your NEO for internet access without first hardening the platform/os and creating some kind of DMZ or segregated network. Otherwise there is the potential for it to be exposed to numerous attacks once it makes itself visible to the internet.

6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    as @Vinz87 has said, Weaved is interesting indeed.
    That's why I got in touch with James Fox of the Weaved team. I'll keep you updated

7. Vinz87

Vinz87 UDOOer

great news Andrea :)
    I will try also to follow installation instructions for Beaglebone, if someone else is interested let's share the results.

At this point it could be useful to change the default Linux password (both for root and udooer users): how this can be done?

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

You can already do it via Web Control Panel ;)

Francesco likes this.