activate uart tx0 and rx0 for imx6

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fad476, Apr 11, 2015.

1. fad476

fad476 New Member

trying to activate uart pins for tx0 and rx0 for imx6 udoo quad all the recent searches i have found tell me to edit board_mx6_seco_UDOO.c and board_mx6_seco_UDOO.h in the root folder which i cannot access and when i do a search for the files using the terminal those .c and .h files dont exist.
    im just trying to use the processor side of the udoo nothing else.

2. fad476

fad476 New Member

by the way im using linaro ubuntu

3. fetcher

fetcher Member

You need to download and compile the kernel source code. gcc 4.8 has trouble building a working kernel, so installing the older gcc-4.6 package, and using that would be best. Here's the basic procedure, valid for Debian, but Ubuntu should be the same, or very close:

Code:
    sudo su

apt-get install gcc-4.6
    cd /usr/bin
    rm gcc; ln -s gcc-4.6 gcc
    rm cpp; ln -s cpp-4.6 cpp
    rm gcov; ln -s gcov-4.6 gcov

cd /usr/src         # (compiles are faster if you mount this from a SATA or USB hard drive; otherwise, SD is fine)

apt-get install git
    git clone http://github.com/UDOOboard/Kernel_Unico udoo_kernel

cd udoo_kernel

cp arch/arm/configs/UDOO_defconfig  .config

cd arch/arm/mach-mx6

ls -l *UDOO*       # <-- this is where you can find those files to edit

# after editing....

cd ../../..

make menuconfig      # optional, if you want to change some config settings

make -j4 uImage

make -j4 modules && make modules_install

mv  arch/arm/boot/uImage /boot/uImage.new
    cd /boot
    mv uImage uImage.old && mv uImage.new uImage

sync
    reboot

The Udoo "getting started" guide has some bits on kernel compilation also:

http://udoo.org/download/files/Documents/UDOO_Starting_Manual_beta0.4_11_28_2013.pdf

4. fad476

fad476 New Member

thank you for the response but every time i try to create a new image udoo will restart before finishing to make the new image

make -j4 uImage #im stuck here

make -j4 modules && make modules_install

5. fetcher

fetcher Member

Hmm, I've never seen this happen, but would suspect a power supply problem as one likely culprit. Is your PSU rated for at least 2A at 12V? 3A is better, to give some margin and account for inflated ratings. An underrated supply might run OK until a demanding load (like multiple compiler threads) causes the board to pull more current.

If it's that, and you don't have another PSU handy, running just one compile job at a time would reduce power demand-- just leave off the '-j4' that tells make to spawn four jobs, one per core, and it'll default to one. Of course this will be slower.

It will also use a little less memory, in case you're running short from large desktop apps, etc. being loaded at the same time. Logging out of the desktop and switching to a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) or to a remote ssh session might be worth a try in that case. If you have a hard drive connected, either SATA or USB, enabling a swap partition or file before compiling would give a cushion against memory pressure.

Also, check in another window/terminal how much your CPU is heating up during the compile:

Code:
    cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp    # reads in degrees Celsius