Add Qt program on UDOO Quad with a linux image

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by Sassus-Bourda, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Sassus-Bourda

Sassus-Bourda Member

I am currently developing a Qt application which has the purpose to be used on a electronic card type UDOO quad. My actual problem is linked to the integration of my program on this card.

I have initially installed a linux image on the card, and then created an executable from my application but I was unable to launch the program on the card. I use Qt via a VM linux from which I can start my program, so I think the problem comes not directly from the card but more by the compiler.

The UDOO’s cards uses a Freescale i.MX processor 6 ARM so I'm looking for a compiler able to create an executable readable on this type of architecture, but at the moment my research have been unsuccessful.

[​IMG]
    If someone at a track beginning I'm interested!

Thanks in advance !

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear Sassus,
    if you develop the program on your PC and then install QT's IDE on UDOO (I think it's named "qt creator" - you can find it in the software center of UDOO), then you can compile on UDOO the program that you originally develop on your PC

3. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

Hi,

The best solution is probably to build an ARM toolchain and to cross-compile a Linux with Qt Embedded using Buildroot. You can use the almost official Linux kernel for UDOO. If you use Qt Creator to program your Qt app, just create a Kit using the toolchain from Buildroot.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  4. modjo

modjo Active Member

Hi, yes the best best way is to use the cross compil tool chain ! But for this you need to build the source of Qt with the arm compiler toolchain for imx6 and most important configure the option to use the hardware gpu ... (openGL) and this is not trivial ! At my work we have a seco A62 that work with qt5.4.1 (image give by seco). The secoA62 is ths sister of udoo quad and it probably easy for udoo team to adapt this to udoo quad ...

5. Sassus-Bourda

Sassus-Bourda Member

Hello guys,
    Thanks for your answers, sorry for the delay but I was on vacation.

I also think that this solution would work however I do not wish to integrate the Qt program on my card, at least not for now.
    I will try the solution next week and give you the updates.
    Thanks again!

6. modjo

modjo Active Member

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  7. Sassus-Bourda

Sassus-Bourda Member

Ok thanks !

8. Oskar

Oskar New Member

How would one go about doing this (qt cross-compile with hardware gpu)? I really don't want to have to compile on the UDOO, if it's not too large of a issue to get it working on a linux pc setup.
    edit: raspberry links are probably useful, how directly applicable is the process (they are quite poorly documented)?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016