Android 4.2.2 as shown

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimmnh, Sep 24, 2013.

1. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

With the duals nearing shipping I've been watching udoo.org daily. Any word on the 4.2.2 build? It was demoed and looked great but I don't see the Android 4.2.2 build for UDOO under 'Downloads' or 'Getting Started'.

2. Mozer

Mozer New Member

Good question, I don't see anything about Android at all... guess the site will need some changing anyways when the UDOO is shipped.. I should get 2 sd cards with linux and android already on it with my order (kickstarter), hopefully it is 4.2.2.

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

The demo units at MakerFaire were running Linux on one unit, Android on another. Both were doing "canned" demos (wired up to some Sharp IR distance sensors through the IO pins so you could wave your hand over the sensors and have it do things like invert the color on the video display or switch between pictures). So, I couldn't really play around and dig in and see what they were using and versions and such.

So while I don't know exactly what version of Android we'll be getting, there IS A version that will be coming.

4. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

Excellent work, Smithers ;-)

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

Getting to see and talk to the UDoo guys was one of the primary driving forces behind me making the drive up to Makerfaire... Especially given that I had been on work travel until early Friday morning, and desperately needed a LOT of sleep... And it was a 2.5 hour drive each way.

But glad I could do some recon for everyone... I think we'll all be very happy when we get them..

Also, one other tidbit - the 4 prong socket right behind/above the 2 micro USB ports - that's another USB port - it's the same connector as the old CD rom audio cables used and they used a cable plugged in there with a USB jack on the other end to plug in a USB wifi module on one of the boards. NICE knowing there's another full sized USB to work with if needed.

And with that said, assuming they manage to get and use a combination wifi/bluetooth module then we'll have 5 open USB ports to work with. It'll be nice to be able to do a lot of stuff without also having to deal with a powered hub...

6. Mozer

Mozer New Member

nice info! I agree on the hub, would be a pain if we had to use one, no, I think we have enough USB ports now :)

7. mkopack

mkopack Member

That being said, though, given the USB spec says that each port should be providing 500ma of power, I'm curious as to how the 2A PSU they're selling with the Udoo will be enough... I REALLY hope we don't run into another round of USB power issues like we had/have with the RPi!