Ardublocks Works on UDOO

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by TheHobbyGuy, Jan 5, 2014.

1. TheHobbyGuy

TheHobbyGuy New Member

Hi all,
    I have been having fun with the UDOO - so first a big thanks to the whole team for putting together such a great board.

I hope to use the UDOO for teaching kids. I think it makes a great all in one to keep things simple. To that end is the reason for my post here.

I have been a fan of visual programming languages and tools for teaching kids and getting their interest. Years ago I supported the ModKit Kickstarter and I am a fan of Scratch, Scratch for Arduino, and the MIT App Inventor for Android. A few weeks ago a fellow member of my hackerspace, FUBAR Labs, mentioned Ardublocks and how much success he was having with it in coding his projects. Long-story, short. I have started to use Ardublocks and I like that it actually works as a tool in the Arduino IDE and when you upload, it writes real code that you can read and learn from (or debug). I decided to see if it would work on the UDOO and it is a little slow but it seems to work fine. Makes a great option for those new to Arduino or coding. Screenshots below. Perhaps with some TLC from the UDOO community here it could grow on the UDOO and become a Out of The box option for new UDOO builds.

if you would like to use ArduBlocks, just follow the getting started. I did nothing special to get it to work. Hope this is helpful to folks.

Ardublocks blog: http://blog.ardublock.com/about/
    Ardublock on GitHub: https://github.com/taweili/ardublock

Attached Files:

2. francescomm

francescomm Member

Thanks, nice.

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

This is great. I installed it in 5 minutes and it works just fine. I tried to create and upload a simple sketch just like in Scratch for Arduino. It's a quite slow tough, maybe a java issue?

i'll give a try with the 12.04 ArmHF version to see if something changes.