Arduino serial reliability problems

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by fgs, Jun 27, 2016.

1. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I did an extra test, to be sure the Neo can handle minicom: I connected Arduino Serial0 to the USB port of the Neo with a TTLtoUSB device. With the same sketch I could read /dev/ttyUSB0 without any problems and CPU load was below 40% and not 100% like with /dev/ttyMCC. As soon as I used Minicom -D /dev/ttyMCC CPU spikes to 100% and no task that uses this load.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I did a sudo apt-get update & update today after discovering some changes in GitHub udooboard.
    And now I have decent Serial output on /dev/ttyMCC! Well done Udoo Team! Also the CPU load was normal. I was working through remote VNC so that hade some influence.

Anyone else has the same experience?

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Under high CPU loads (during compiling new Arduino sketch) I still see some missing characters unfortunately.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing out this bug @waltervl.

5. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

Hi waltervl, do you miss chars even without high CPU loads during the compilation?
    The bug appears only if the high load is during the compilation, and not during the execution?

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

In normal operation (40-70% CPU) I don't miss characters. But when I for example start a compilation of a sketch in Arduino IDE (without uploading) my CPU goes to 90-100% and a see missing characters in serial output. I thought i checked it in Minicom but it could also be Arduino Serial Monitor.

But I have to say that it is performing way much better than before. Only missing characters is still a problem when you have to rely on it.

7. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

Can you please post a reduced sketch to reproduce the issue?
    So I can exactly see how/when you are calling Serial, the delay in the loop(), etc.

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@Francesco Did repeat the test myself and only with Arduino IDE serial monitor I saw some missing characters on some moment when compiling with Arduino IDE. This could also be an issue within Arduino IDE.

With Minicom it worked perfect, no errors!
    I also tried it with smaller delays upto 10 ms and it still behaved good!

Andrea Rovai likes this.