Arduino with UDOO KEY

Discussion in 'UDOO KEY' started by ZaleAnderson, Mar 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. ZaleAnderson

ZaleAnderson New Member

The campaign page says you can use the Arduino ide but all I can see in the documentation is using linux or for the esp32 using esspresifs tool. The lack of documentation and this whole project is a joke. Has anyone managed to actually gotten arudino to work with this board?

Michael Hodgson likes this.
  2. Prerunning

Prerunning New Member

Yea it works fine for the esp 32. Idk anything about pi so I haven’t tried. The url I had in arduinos board manger for esp 32 boards didn’t work for this board, I needed to add the espressif url.
    I wasted like an hour today before realizing all the gpio on the board except the 10 pin connector on top is wired to the pico. Don’t make that mistake.

3. Opi-Van-Kristovi

Opi-Van-Kristovi New Member

Programming the ESP32 with Arduino worked flawlessly out of the box. However, I was already using ESP32's, so my IDE was aready set-up for it.
    In the preferences menu, under "Additional Boards Manager URL's", the following URL should be added:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_index.json
    After adding this URL, you can search for ESP32 in the Board Manager and install it. Selecting the ESP32 Dev Module as board should work just fine.

For adding the RP2040 to the Arduino IDE, you must add the following link under "Additional Boards Manager URL's" in order to install it with the board manager:
    https://github.com/earlephilhower/arduino-pico/releases/download/global/package_rp2040_index.json
    However, I didn't managed to make this work yet, because I can't get the RP2040 to show up as USB0 between the connected serial port devices like it should, only as ACM0.

I totally agree with your comment about the lack of (descent) documentation. I hope this will improve in the near future, or that someone will be nice enough to publish a few tutorials to make some aspects a bit more clear. Because I'm also struggling with getting the embedded sensors to work and establishing a serial communication between the 2 mcu's

Michael Hodgson likes this.
  4. Opi-Van-Kristovi

I just discovered that the issue with programming the RP2040 using Arduino IDE must be OS-related. Haven't resolved or identified the exact cause yet, but on my Linux(Ubuntu) OS it fails to upload code or even show the right serial port connection.
    On Windows on the other hand, everything works flawlessly. No need to put the RP2040 in bootloader mode, just connect, select the right COM port and board and you can upload the code.

5. Opi-Van-Kristovi

For those interested, I started a github repository with some working examples of what I figured out so far and a reference page that bundles some of the otherwise scattered information like hardware connections. If I discover more over time, I'll add it to the repository, but feel free to contribute with your own findings, or just use it as a starting point.
    The repo can be found here: https://github.com/opivankristovi/udoo-key-arduino

6. DrewTChrist

DrewTChrist UDOOer

Yes I am quite interested. How did your repository come to look so similar to mine? How did you end up with the same reference that I created? And why would you modify the words from my readme to make it sound like you created it?

https://github.com/DrewTChrist/udoo-key-rs

7. Michael Hodgson

Michael Hodgson UDOOer

Hi.
    I'm just getting started with my Udoo key. I followed the above instructions, and that part seemed to work.
    I started simple with the built-in blink programme, and changed the use of "LED_BUILTIN" to 12. The programme won't download, I get an error, "A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: No serial data received." Googling for this error gave me some results, but none useful. Any clues, please?